Subject: web code update

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Sep 2004 17:20:56 -0400

Hey Alexy,

can we get an update of where things are on the new web code, including
if all of your current work is checked in? perhaps we could scramble up
some todo items that folks could do via cvs to help you out?

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 02:08:45 +0400

Hi,

> Hey Alexy,

That's "Alexey", note the extra "e".

> some todo items that folks could do via cvs to help you out?

All the stuff which is on http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/ is checked in.

I am considering doing some cosmetic changes to the design (like a bigger logo 
and bigger font), but that'll be only on the next week.

As I already said several times, I need someone with a "fresh eye" to go over 
the current site and write down the differences with the beta one.

What's left is essentially the texts for the website. I suggest doing two big 
pages for "Support" and "Download". The "Support" page will list all support 
options, including commercial ones and only then point to mailing lists. The 
"Download" page will describe the stuff that is on the FTP mirrors and mention 
major add-ons to PostgreSQL that are not. Only then will it point to FTP mirror 
selection.

I also need the *official* slogan and the *official* welcome text.

Of course, one may consider writing a more verbose "About" page as well:
http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/about/

The changes to the texts may be directly commited to the pgweb module, if there 
are questions on templates, I'll gladly answer them.

I'm Cc:'ing this to advocacy, since there may be interested people there...

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:29:42 -0400

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 02:08:45AM +0400, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> What's left is essentially the texts for the website. I suggest doing two 
> big pages for "Support" and "Download". The "Support" page will list all 
> support options, including commercial ones and only then point to mailing 
> lists.

Oh, please don't.  As an open source project we need the mailing list
link as visible as possible, just like any other open source project.

Other than that, IMHO your design looks pretty good ...

-- 
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]dcc.uchile.cl>)
"Uno combate cuando es necesario... ¡no cuando está de humor!
El humor es para el ganado, o para hacer el amor, o para tocar el
baliset.  No para combatir."  (Gurney Halleck)

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Sep 2004 11:40:15 -0400

> link as visible as possible, just like any other open source project.

I think we should promote our mailing lists over the commercial
companies, but I also think we need to integrate the commercial company
list into the main site instead of keeping it "hidden" on techdocs. I'll
see if I can work something up.

Robert Treat

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:58:39 -0700

> see if I can work something up.

IMHO on the page it should say something like:

Community Support:
    Mailing Lists
       pgsql-general
       pgsql-hackers
       etc...
    Docs

Commercial Support:
       Command Prompt, Inc.
       Agliodbs
       PgSQL, Inc.

etc....

I do believe mailing lists should be first as that is the first line of 
defense. If a person calls Command Prompt, they pay money (which is 
good) but it is better if they checked the lists first.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

-- 
Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
+1-503-667-4564 - [email-masked] - http://www.commandprompt.com
Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator. Integrated Replication for PostgreSQL

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:04:34 -0300 (ADT)

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> defense. If a person calls Command Prompt, they pay money (which is good) but 
> it is better if they checked the lists first.

Agreed ... this is supposed to be a "Project Web Site" not a "Commercial 
One" ... listing the Commercial is important, but priority should be to 
our lists ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:08:32 -0700

Folks,

> >      PgSQL, Inc.

Can I plead to database the commercial listings somehow?    They will get 
updated/modified frequently.

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: Darcy Buskermolen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:37:48 -0700

> updated/modified frequently.

If this is happening, can we also maybe make the order somehow somewhat 
random? That way there is no preference given to a specific entity.

-- 
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.
ph: 250.717.0200
fx:  250.763.1759
http://www.wavefire.com

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:56:52 -0300 (ADT)

> random? That way there is no preference given to a specific entity.

AT the least, it shoudl be alphabetical ...

----