Subject: Contrib/earthdistance missing from cvsweb.

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:28:19 +0100

Hi Marc,

I always seem to get problems checking out the earthdistance contrib
module from CVS. Tom mentioned in the past that this was because you had
experimented with it when trying to split the repository.

I can get at it if I checkout pgsql vs. pgsql-server (or vice-versa, I
forget which), but as this module is also missing from cvsweb, it would
be good if you could fix it. Please :-)

Cheers, Dave.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:14:38 -0300 (ADT)

> be good if you could fix it. Please :-)

Unfortunately, to 'fix it', I'm not sure of the risks, since it causes 
some major headaches when i pulled it out in the first place :(  If 
nothing else, should probably wait until *after* the release, not middle 
of beta ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:17:29 -0400 (EDT)

> nothing else, should probably wait until *after* the release, not middle 

This just a CVS checkout issue.  It shouldn't affect the actual CVS
files.  I think it has been pushed off too long that we should just do
it now.  How many years must it be broken?

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:40:59 -0300 (ADT)

> it now.  How many years must it be broken?

as far as I know, the only thing that is 'broken' is cvsweb ... and since 
it looks directly *at* teh cvs repository, not sure how it breaks that ... 
but, it isn't 'just a CVS checkout issue', unless you mean that *everyone* 
working on code is going to have to re-check out their source tree, which 
then it is a simple matter :)

Note that 'cvs checkout -P pgsql' is, and always has been, the method of 
checking out/in code ... and I haven't had any reports of that being 
broken ... have you?

----

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:54:36 -0400 (EDT)

> checking out/in code ... and I haven't had any reports of that being 

I have just seen too many problem reports.  I don't remember the cause. 
I have no problem doing a fresh checkout.  In fact it is easier to do
this during beta than it is any other time.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:59:38 -0300 (ADT)

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have just seen too many problem reports.

I wish ppl would actually post these reports publicly ... the only one 
that I'm aware of is the cvsweb one that Dave just posted *shrug*

----

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:10:29 -0400

> it looks directly *at* teh cvs repository, not sure how it breaks that ... 

The problem is that 
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/
works, but
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/
does not, and of course the former view doesn't include earthdistance.

I'm all for merging earthdistance back in and renaming the module back
to just "pgsql".  If it forces a fresh checkout, that's no big deal from
my end, and I think it would get rid of a lot of confusion in the long
run.

You had better give -hackers some notice, of course.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:33:14 -0300 (ADT)

> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/

pgsql is an 'alias' that merges pgsql-server and contrib modules ... 
cvsweb doesn't see it, as it only looks as the disk layout :(

> You had better give -hackers some notice, of course.

Baring anyone being against this, I'll make the changes tomorrow and post 
to the list once finished ... shouldn't take more then 5 minutes, but this 
gives ~24hrs notice for anyone working on something that they'd like to 
save :)

----

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:16:17 -0400

I trust those of us using CVSup will see the right thing, if we pick up 
the new CVSROOT/modules file?

cheers

andrew

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> I'm all for merging earthdistance back in and renaming the module 
>> back to just "pgsql".  If it forces a fresh checkout, that's no big 
>> deal from my end, and I think it would get rid of a lot of confusion 
>> in the long run.
>>
> Baring anyone being against this, I'll make the changes tomorrow and 
> post to the list once finished ... shouldn't take more then 5 minutes, 
> but this gives ~24hrs notice for anyone working on something that 
> they'd like to save :)
>
> ----
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email-masked])
>

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:26:10 -0300 (ADT)

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>
> I trust those of us using CVSup will see the right thing, if we pick up the 
> new CVSROOT/modules file?

it will most likely require a new checkout for you as well, since you'll 
be still using teh 'old paths' ...

>> pgsql is an 'alias' that merges pgsql-server and contrib modules ... cvsweb 
>> doesn't see it, as it only looks as the disk layout :(
>> 
>>> I'm all for merging earthdistance back in and renaming the module back to 
>>> just "pgsql".  If it forces a fresh checkout, that's no big deal from my 
>>> end, and I think it would get rid of a lot of confusion in the long run.
>>> 

----

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:26:52 -0300 (ADT)

pgsql-server won't get it, pgsql will get it ... but as pgsql is an alias, 
and not a physical directory, cvsweb can't see it unless you go into the 
contrib directory ...

But ... we're fixing that tomorrow ...

----