Subject: Re: Counting clicks, Download page?

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:51:16 -0000

Nope, not as it stands. Virtually everything is static HTML now for speed and mirror-ability. If you want to log ftp mirror selections, then it'll need to go back to being a php script on one server, giving us a single point of failure on perhaps the second most important part of the site (next to the front page).

/D

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] on behalf of Josh Berkus
Sent: Mon 11/22/2004 12:11 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [pgsql-www] Counting clicks, Download page?
 
Folks,

Is there any way we can log the number of times people request an FTP mirror 
from the download mirrors page?    While it wouldn't be an accurate count of 
downloads, it would give us better numbers than we have now.  

Thoughts?

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:59:42 +0300

Hi,

> Nope, not as it stands. Virtually everything is static HTML now for speed and mirror-ability. If you want to log ftp mirror selections, then it'll need to go back to being a php script on one serve…

In fact the mirror selection page now *should* be a dynamic page on one 
server only (and that's the main reason I am so concerned about that 
server's performance). In any other case you'll *not* be able to use 
ip2country.

But current implementation of mirror selection will not give any useful 
stats: it will only show how many people went to an FTP mirror, not 
whether they actually downloaded something.

---

From: Oleg Bartunov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:06:43 +0300 (MSK)

It could be done without touching pages, just configure mod_rewrite
properly. I think it's not difficult for mirrors add several lines
to httpd.conf

 	Oleg

> downloads, it would give us better numbers than we have now.

 	Regards,
 		Oleg
_____________________________________________________________
Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
Internet: [email-masked], http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:25:12 -0400 (AST)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> Nope, not as it stands. Virtually everything is static HTML now for 
> speed and mirror-ability. If you want to log ftp mirror selections, then 
> it'll need to go back to being a php script on one server, giving us a 
> single point of failure on perhaps the second most important part of the 
> site (next to the front page).

I thought that all mirrors had a requirement to have php enabled?  could 
we do an email->database gateway, where the mirror would email in stats 
that a script on the server side could then parse and dump into the 
database?

the other option would be a php script that checked if 
scripts.postgresql.org was reachable, and if so, did a GET request to do 
the dump before redirecting to the mirror itself ... assuming a fairly 
short timeout on the check ...

> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>      subscribe-nomail command to [email-masked] so that your
>      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
>

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:45:16 -0800

Alexey,

> whether they actually downloaded something.

Yeah, but that's more information than we have now.    

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco