Subject: Counting clicks, Download page?

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:11:51 -0800

Folks,

Is there any way we can log the number of times people request an FTP mirror 
from the download mirrors page?    While it wouldn't be an accurate count of 
downloads, it would give us better numbers than we have now.  

Thoughts?

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:28:14 -0600

Maybe a good way is to create a simple perl script that counts out of 
some standard logfile formats and provides the numbers in a file that 
would be accessable but hidden in the ftp file structure... maybe .stats 
or something... then we could easily make a ftp script to retrive the 
information for a stats page.  If we agree that it's something that 
we'll ask/require our mirrors to use on a crontab, I'll be happy to code 
something that works against proftp and apache, with abstraction for the 
regex to split out the data.

Gavin

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:32:38 -0800

Gavin,

> If we agree that it's something that
> we'll ask/require our mirrors to use on a crontab,

We can ask, but only a few will cooperate.  Our biggest mirrors are university 
sites who won't run anything -- at least, that's what I've been told.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:50:49 -0400 (AST)

we could do something similar to what justin had done with techdocs, and 
'wrapper' the redirect to the ftp site in a php/perl script that logs the 
click thru to the mirror ... same could be done with the www mirrors also 
... the 'link' would just have to point back to scripts.postgresql.org ...

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:07:41 -0800

>downloads, it would give us better numbers than we have now.  
Why don't we do it the way PHP does it. They have a link goes to
itself with some get parameters and then referrs to the real download site.
This would allow us to easily keep track of the specific clicks.

J

-- 
Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
+1-503-667-4564 - [email-masked] - http://www.commandprompt.com
PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL