Subject: Re: Ads dont connect

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 08:58:11 +0200

> >> Although ads.postgresql.org could in theory also track the 
> IPs that 
> >> they send the image too and try and match that way if the 
> cookie was 
> >> not found. That should fix it 99% of the time, I would think.
>   
> > Except then it has to save the IPs for every hit to every page *in 
> > case* someone happens to click through ...
>   
> But aren't they already saved in the apache logs? It would be 
> expensive to parse them, true, but this would be a rare case 
> for those who are not accepting cookies. Or at the very 
> least, what if the non-mirror site (e.g. www.postgresql.org) 
> used a slightly different system that did not rely on the 
> cookie/image scheme?

Can't talk about the ads.pg server, but al the static servers have
logging turned off to handle the performance requirements.

And what do you mean with the "non-mirror site www.postgresql.org"?
www.postgresql.org is the mirrored site ;-)

//Magnus

---

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 01:15:15 -0000

> logging turned off to handle the performance requirements.

Right, but all we need is the logs from ads.pg, which hopefully can
tell us which ad was just served to the requesting IP via this:

<img src="http://ads.postgresql.org/display_image.php?lvl=sponsor">

> www.postgresql.org is the mirrored site ;-)

Oh yes, I forgot we have some round-robin DNS action going on now
(which is a good thing!) so nevermind all that. :)

On second though, the first half probably won't work either, if the script
that sends out the image cannot log IPs. I'll fall back to my original
plan B then: simply call up a "list of all sponsors" page. Right now
it opens a new window, and puts the main postgresql page on it, no matter
which page you came from. We should do better than that.

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200510042110
http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 22:53:23 -0300 (ADT)

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
>

how?  when display_image runs, it sets a cookie ... all that the logs show 
is "http://ads.postgresql.org/display_image.php?lvl=sponsor", there is 
nothing that says which ad was displayed for that IP ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:13:35 -0300 (ADT)

Greg, let me know if recent changes to the software (basically, replaced 
the inhouse with phpAdsNew) fixes these problems for you ...

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
> iD8DBQFDQykTvJuQZxSWSsgRAjpxAKCMqjyjLK+9Uld0U7EBzx9P7PxS+QCgxM1H
> QqQl7lYip4rxR+2QQauPLhc=
> =kMaK
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>
>
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>       choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>       match
>

----

---

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:51:51 -0000

> the inhouse with phpAdsNew) fixes these problems for you ...

Bingo. Seems to work great now, even when I reject cookies. (which are
now coming from a numeric IP, not a domain name). Thanks for following
up on this.

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200510231651
http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8