Subject: PGDN and CVS

From: "Gevik babakhani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:40:40 +0200

Hi Dave,

Regarding the PGDN.

1.	Let's say we produce a directory with all kinds of static
html,images sample sql scripts etc. How do we want to update the whole PGDN
within our CVS.
2.	Do we want to put the static PGDN files in CVS anyway? Should we
keep the PGDN files separate not mixing with the current site's CVS?

Regards,

Gevik.

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:50:25 +0100

________________________________

	From: Gevik babakhani [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: 21 September 2005 10:41
	To: [email-masked]
	Cc: Dave Page
	Subject: PGDN and CVS

	Hi Dave,

Hi Gevik,

	Regarding the PGDN.

	1.	Let's say we produce a directory with all kinds of
static html,images sample sql scripts etc... How do we want to update
the whole PGDN within our CVS.  

We need a script that will traverse the directory structure and perform
the appropriate CVS add/remove operations based on what it finds, and
then commits the whole tree. It sounds hard at first thought, but I
don't think it is when thought about further - for example, we
hierarchically traverse the tree, and for each directory or file we
find, we check CVS/Entries to see if it exists in CVS. If not, we do a
CVS ADD on it. When we've processed the files, we then go line by line
through CVS/Entries, and CVS REMOVE any files or directories that don't
exist any more. That should be a relatively trivial perl script for
someone familiar with perl.

	1.	Do we want to put the static PGDN files in CVS anyway?
Should we keep the PGDN files separate not mixing with the current
site's CVS? 

Yes, we do want them in CVS because we build the entire from there & the
backend database. we don't want to start pulling in content from
additional places as that just makes it much harder to rebuild the
servers if there is ever a problem.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:01:50 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> Sent: 21 September 2005 13:57
> To: 'Magnus Hagander'; Dave Page; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [pgsql-www] PGDN and CVS
> 
> I have hacked with the current framework while ago. I almost 
> know how things
> work. (Dave has been a great help for my questions...).
> 
> My plan is to transfer the things I have created with drupal 
> to the current
> framework also :)
> 
> I was also thinking of letting everything in the site's 
> database. Why would
> we want to export things and then re-import them back in the 
> CVS? But then
> again this is just my opinion. The decisions are on the masters :)

Database is fine with me as an alternative to CVS, just as long as it
can be generated out into a static format for replication to the
front-end servers.

What I don't want is something completely separate that requires
significant effort to keep synced up, or to recover in the event of a
disaster.

Regards, Dave

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:08:56 +0100

> Sent: 21 September 2005 20:53
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; 'Magnus Hagander'; Dave Page
> Is this Framewerk the same as www.Framewerk.org?

Yes - as you've probably already seen by know Gavin the lead is well
known around these parts :-)

Actually from what I know of it, it may well be a particularly good
choice for this project. My understanding is that it is more of a
framework (hence the name I guess!) for building sites on than a
ready-to-run CMS, thus giving you many of the boring-to-build bits in a
ready to use form, but allowing you to get your hands dirty getting it
to work just as required.

Regards, Dave.