Subject: Lost patches email

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 07:18:30 -0400 (EDT)

I have an email to patches that never seems to appear either on the
lists or the web archives.  The header is:

	Subject: Re: [PATCHES] [HACKERS] Patching dblink.c to avoid warning about open
	        transaction
	To: PostgreSQL-patches <[email-masked]>
	Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 23:24:24 -0400 (EDT)
	cc: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>, Joe Conway <[email-masked]>, David Fetter <[email-masked]>, Jonathan Beit-Aharon <jbeita
	[email-masked]>

The email has no attachments, and is pretty small, 75 lines.  Any idea
what is happening to it?  This is actually the second one since
yesterday that has failed for me.

I have received other patches email from yesterday, so I think I am
still subscribed to the patches list.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:56:38 -0300 (ADT)

> still subscribed to the patches list.

I just checked the complete pgsql-patches queue, and found nothing ... 
does your maillog show it as having been successfully delivered to our 
mail server?  What is the MSG ID?

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:00:54 -0400 (EDT)

> mail server?  What is the MSG ID?

Sure:

	Oct  7 23:24:25 candle sendmail[5881]: j983OP505881: from=pgman,
	size=3148, class=0, nrcpts=5, msgid=<200510080324.j983OP505881@
	candle.pha.pa.us>, relay=pgman@localhost
	
	Oct  7 23:24:28 candle sendmail[5883]: j983OP505881:
	to=[email-masked], ctladdr=pgman (113/120),
	delay=00:00:03, x delay=00:00:03, mailer=esmtp, pri=153148,
	relay=svr1.postgresql.org. [200.46.204.71], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Ok:
	queued as 3F5AED 83C7)

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:32:09 -0300 (ADT)

> 	relay=svr1.postgresql.org. [200.46.204.71], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Ok:

'k, am looking into it ... if you resend it, does it fail yet again?  Do 
you get nothing back indicating *why* it failed?

If you do send it again, please send me the log information as above 
again, since that seems to give me more then enough information to do a 
fair amount of tracing ...

----

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:48:07 -0400 (EDT)

> you get nothing back indicating *why* it failed?

Nothing.  I just tried again and am staring at my mail server logs and
see nothing coming in after the email is sent out.

> fair amount of tracing ...

Here is a new I just sent as a test:
	
	Oct  8 12:44:00 candle sendmail[6592]: j98Gi0006592: from=pgman,
	size=37073, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200510081644.j98Gi0006592
	@candle.pha.pa.us>, relay=pgman@localhost
	
	Oct  8 12:44:02 candle sendmail[6594]: j98Gi0006592:
	to=[email-masked], ctladdr=pgman (113/120),
	delay=00:00:02, x delay=00:00:02, mailer=esmtp, pri=67073,
	relay=svr1.postgresql.org. [200.46.204.71], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (Ok:
	queued as E6B3BD8 367)

It is actually a bounce to pgpatches of my original message.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:56:04 -0300 (ADT)

Actually, I suspect that won't work anyway, since now its a duplicate of 
one that was already processed, which is why it would fail ...

We'll have to keep a close eye on this for the next one you know didn't go 
through, and I'm waiting for details from the developers on how I can 
improve reporting without filling up the file system with debug messages 
:(

----

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:58:50 -0400 (EDT)

> improve reporting without filling up the file system with debug messages 

I just sent a new copy that is not a bounce but a new email, and I added
a '[ repost ]' line at the top.