Subject: User survey suggestion: add CVS as a choice

From: Michael Fuhr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 00:24:56 -0600

Regarding the user survey "Where did you get your current production
copy of PostgreSQL from?" I'd like to suggest adding CVS as a choice.

-- 
Michael Fuhr

---

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:24:35 -0000

> copy of PostgreSQL from?" I'd like to suggest adding CVS as a choice.

Yikes! Perhaps you overlooked the all-important "production" word of
the question? :) Unless you are using cvs with specifically tagged releases.
In either case, I think the handful of people who use cvs rule it out
as an answer, IMO.

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200510101022
http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

---

From: Michael Fuhr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:38:00 -0600

> the question? :) Unless you are using cvs with specifically tagged releases.

No, I didn't overlook the word "production," although I anticipated
that somebody might think so.  CVS doesn't necessarily imply HEAD:
I was indeed thinking of people who track tagged releases.

> In either case, I think the handful of people who use cvs rule it out

Is CVS usage really that low?  I don't know, not having seen any
activity logs.

-- 
Michael Fuhr

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:02:44 -0400

> Is CVS usage really that low?  I don't know, not having seen any

... and we'll never find out, if we take surveys that exclude the
possibility.

I concur with Michael that pulling the head of a release branch might be
a perfectly sane way to build a production installation.  What if you
need a bug fix that's in CVS but not yet appeared in any dot-release?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:14:35 -0000

> Is CVS usage really that low?  I don't know, not having seen any

Don't know. I'm just guessing based on the approximate number of posters
to hackers and patches. I guess it can't hurt to add it, but I still
think it will be an outlier. Personally, I prefer to use the tarballs
so that I can help spot any bugs that may have been introduced in the
packaging process.
  
- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200510101112
http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

---

From: Michael Fuhr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:49:15 -0600

> so that I can help spot any bugs that may have been introduced in the

So that's one data point.  Shouldn't conclusions about the population
in general be based on survey results instead of on a priori assumptions?
Otherwise what's the point of the survey?

-- 
Michael Fuhr

---

From: "Jim C. Nasby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:31:36 -0500

BTW, shouldn't we at least have a link to the survey on the front page,
if not the survey itself?

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 12:24:56AM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
> 

-- 
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [email-masked]
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 05:51:34 -0400

> if not the survey itself?

When we did the site redesign last year, it got nixed from the front page. If 
you have a perticular spot you'd like to put the link lmk and we can try it.

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL