Subject: Re: Greylisting enabled ...

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:14:23 +0200

> Just so that everyone is aware, greylisting is now enabled on 
> the vServer where the mailing lists go through ... not that I 
> expect to hear of any, but if you notice any problems, please 
> let me know ...

Is this something we should write a blurb on the mailinglist info page
on the web about? Considering it'll delay people submission a bit the
first time they post frmo a new IP?

(Or perhaps that delay will just be drowned by the other general delay
of the lists?)

//Magnus

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:46:25 -0300 (ADT)

> (Or perhaps that delay will just be drowned by the other general delay

I've temporarily turned it off anyway ... need to figure out a better way 
of doing it ... 'submissions' aren't a big issue, as the delay for 
greylisting is minimal ... the problem is that majordomo has feature in it 
that auto-unsubscribes ppl from the list if their email bounces over N 
times ... so, if we send out an email through pgsql-general to 1000 
subscribers, and 100 bounce back (reasonably normal), those 100 are all 
"new" to the greylisting system, since the return addresses are all 
*individual* (<listname>+<unique identifier>@postgresql.org) ... server 
load wasn't being affected, but the mail queue on the MX servers were 
being bogged down fast, since they were trying to resend *through* the MXs 
...

Need to get all the MXs setup first, *then* the main server, so that the 
MXs see it as the 'second attempt' and bounce it straight through better 
...

Will let y'all know once I have this setup a *wee* bit better to deal with 
majordomo's "ACKs" ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:23:59 -0700

> (Or perhaps that delay will just be drowned by the other general delay

I would say the above will probably be the case.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> 
> //Magnus
> 
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend
-- 
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/