Subject: Re: Presskits for 8.1 Release

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 10:52:22 +0100

> Web gurus:
> 
> OK, the following presskits need to go up at 
> www.postgresql.org/about to be 
> ready for the release.   All press kits are in CVS for the 
> Press project, 
> with the directory structure pr/releases/8.1/XX/presskit81.html.XX
> ... where XX is the language code.  They all need to end up 
> at about/press/presskit81.html.XX

In general, firefox doesn't like <a name="foo"/>, for some reason - it
doesn't consider it closed. Needs to be <a name="foo"></a>. Without
doing this, all paragraphs will be underlined when the mouse hovers over
them...

Unfortunatly, this seems to go for all languages - as they are copied...

I also notice there is no header on the page - there was one for 8.0.
Was that really intentinoal?
(8.0 had <h1>PostgreSQL 8.0 Press Kit</h1>, 8.1 has only subheaders)

> AR: Arabic

Not valid XHTML, with *lots* of errors. Check
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
%2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ar&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
&doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

> BR: Brazilian

Bad encoding - not valid UTF8. Can't validate.

> DE: German

Not valid XHTML, with *lots* of errors. Check
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
%2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.de&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
&doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

> EL: Hebrew

Same as german, appears to be at least partly the very same errors. See
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
%2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.el&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
&doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

In the english list, this one is ilnked from "Greek", that seems wrong.

> EN: English

Under "Corporate support" there is a "</h3>" at the end of the
paragraph, but no opening <h3>. Thus, not valid HTML.

> FR: French

There is no 8.1 file in cvs that I can find.

> JA: Japanese

Not valid XHTML, but it looks like it could be an encoding issue. See
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
%2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ja&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
&doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

> RO: Romanian

Not completed, has things like <link here> still in it in at least four
places.

> RU: Russian

Not valid XHTML, and also has <link> stuff still in there. See
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fmagnus-master.pgadmin.org
%2Fabout%2Fpress%2Fpresskit81.html.ru&charset=%28detect+automatically%29
&doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

> Additional, the following two are done but the version in CVS 
> are broken.   
> They should be getting corrected in the next couple of days:
> 
> ES: Spanish
> FI: Finnish
> 
> Please let me know if any of the encodings are messed up so 
> that I can bug the translators.  It seems like some are UTF-8 
> and some are ASCII but I can't tell for sure, encodings baffle me.

Me too ;) But I can tell which are wrong by feeding them through the
XHTML validator at w3.org.

They can be converted with "iconv" if you know the source encoding,
though. But you need to know the source...

> You'll notice that this is less languages than last year.  
> This is because the release is actually going out on time, 
> and the translators aren't used to meeting deadlines with no 
> slippage.  ;-/

There is a list at the bottom of the page that refers to a whole lot of
languages that don't exist... Such as Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Polish,
Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish (may be more, didn't check carefully).

> Additionally, the new Regional Contacts page is available here:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/13/contact.html
> ... and can go up any time.   

Not valid XHTML, see
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//magnus-master.pgadm
in.org/about/press/contact.html

The "USA & General" <a> anchor needs to go inside the <dt>.
& needs to be &amp;

> Finally, the new version of the Press FAQ is also under CVS 
> and at pgFoundry and needs to go up at the same time the PressKits do:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/26/press_faq.html
> http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/press/pr/faq/

Seems to be perfect XHTML :-) 

//Magnus

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 09:12:08 -0800

Magnus,

TRANSLATORS:  PLEASE see Magnus' comments below about bad encodings and 
missing parts of presskits.

Magnus: the translators can (hopefully) fix the encoding issues. 
However, I don't know that they can fix the XHTML issues.   Can the web 
team do this somehow?

> doing this, all paragraphs will be underlined when the mouse hovers over

I don't recall putting such a thing in.  How about a line number?

> (8.0 had <h1>PostgreSQL 8.0 Press Kit</h1>, 8.1 has only subheaders)

Nope, it's because the header was added after the fact last year so I 
didn't have it in my template.  :-(  We can add it easily enough for 
English, but the others?

> In the english list, this one is ilnked from "Greek", that seems wrong.

Actually, it is Greek.  I got mixed up.

> There is no 8.1 file in cvs that I can find.

Eh?  CVS error.  Will attempt to re-post.   Since CVS is giving me fits 
over the FR directory (it doesn't like it for some reason) I may have to 
drop French into the main directory.

> &doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

OK, we'll leave Japanese alone.   Usually JPUG posts the release on 
their own site instead of ours anyway.

> Not completed, has things like <link here> still in it in at least four

Ah.  Drop this one then.   I've not heard from the Romanian folks in a week.

> XHTML validator at w3.org.

I don't have the time or the knowledge to fix XHTML problems; that's my 
markup that you're having problems with and it represents the limit of 
my HTML know-how (I *did* post to this list asking for feedback before 
the translations started, but, whatever)  Can someone on the web team 
take this over?

> Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish (may be more, didn't check carefully).

Right.  I'm waiting to see which presskits are "OK" before revising that 
list.

> Seems to be perfect XHTML :-) 

Well, at least I got *something* right.

--Josh

---

From: Nick Gazaloff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:50:46 +0300

>> &doctype=Inline&ss=1&verbose=1

RU is probably fixed now, though I cannot validate the new version. 
Could you renew the one on magnus-master.pgadmin.org?

-- 

Best regards,
CIO of CSA
Nick Gazaloff
http://www.sbin.org
sip:[email-masked]
+7 8793 365584
(GPG Key ID: 4396B2D0)

---

From: Honda Shigehiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:49:27 +0900 (JST)

Hello,

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [translators] [pgsql-www] Presskits for 8.1 Release
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 09:12:08 -0800

> their own site instead of ours anyway.

I converted to UTF-8 and commit it into CVS. Could you try again?

And the URL of JPUG's press-release for 8.1 release are:
  http://www.postgresql.jp/ug/press-release/2005-02.html

regards, 
-- 
  Shigehiro Honda