Subject: HEADS UP: Upcoming Maintenance Downtime

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 23:03:48 -0400 (AST)

Now that 8.1.0 is out the door, there is some maintenance that I need to 
do on the developer vServer ... namely, I'm getting rid of the use of the 
union file system stuff ...

Altho the conversion is relatively easy, due to the size of the vServer, 
it will take a few hours to complete, but, as Dave/Magnus have seen, the 
union file system stuff tends to affect performance, and it does cause 
problems with various memory related buffers when there are alot of files 
involved.

My plan is to do the upgrade next Saturday evening ... I will send out a 
message on -announce Friday evening, to give ~24hrs notice, and a 
subsequent one right after everything looks to be back up ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 16:07:39 -0400 (AST)

At Josh's request, I'm moving this back to last weekend in November ... to 
let things settle out as far as the Press Release (v. press contacts) are 
concerned ...

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>
> Now that 8.1.0 is out the door, there is some maintenance that I need to do 
> on the developer vServer ... namely, I'm getting rid of the use of the union 
> file system stuff ...
>
> Altho the conversion is relatively easy, due to the size of the vServer, it 
> will take a few hours to complete, but, as Dave/Magnus have seen, the union 
> file system stuff tends to affect performance, and it does cause problems 
> with various memory related buffers when there are alot of files involved.
>
> message on -announce Friday evening, to give ~24hrs notice, and a subsequent 
> one right after everything looks to be back up ...
>
> ----
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>
>              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
>

----