Subject: Re: Integration Requirements

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 21:26:22 +0100

> > - Moving data; originally we'd looked at exporting from the 
> cms into 
> > the filesystem, and having script that did a cvs add/remove/commit 
> > over the entire tree, into the main web CVS. This is still 
> preferrable 
> > from an 'ease of rebuilding' point of view, but might be 
> easier just 
> > to rsync the content from the filesystem of the cms machine 
> to wwwmaster.
> 
> This isn't really practical for a KB or many other 
> components, which need to be highly dynamic, not a bunch of 
> static pages.

I agree that this isn't very practical - one of the reasons I didn't
like it in the first place. It has the one advantage that if this system
breaks, it doesn't brek the website. But designing for a system that's
expected to break doesn't seem like a very good idea.

Then again, "highly dynamic" does *not* necessarily mean you can't use a
set of static mirrors to do it. You just need to isolate parts of the
system, and put them in the right place. This is something that in my
experience most stock CMSes today to a bad job of, whereas custom ones
can do a better one.

(Heck, it's no big problem to serve a dynamic discussion site that
easily survives "the slashdot effect" off a single CPU 233MHz pentium
box with non-raid scsi disks. I've done it. You just have to accept
redifining "immidiate" as "1 minute". Not many sites require things to
be more dynamic htan that.)

//Magnus

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:02:09 -0800

Magnus,

> experience most stock CMSes today to a bad job of, whereas custom ones

Actually, it does.  You can't do full text search with a static mirror.   
You can't do bookmarking with a static mirror.  You can't do article 
feedback with a static mirror.  Need I go on?  

I'm talking about a real KB here, not just techdocs.  A techdocs 
replacement does fine as static content.

--Josh

-- 
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus		       Consultant
[email-masked]	 www.agliodbs.com
Ph: 415-752-2500	Fax: 415-752-2387
2166 Hayes Suite 200	San Francisco, CA

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 01:52:14 -0400 (AST)

> feedback with a static mirror.  Need I go on?

Of course you can ... you have the 'feedback' link go back to the master 
server, same with the 'search link' ... we've been doing both on the 
www.postgresql.org websites for ages now *shrug*  The docs are 
interactive, and we definitely have searching available ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664