Subject: Re: Change in policy on News?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:23:52 +0100

> Folks,
> 
> When we last discussed "policy" for front-page news items, 
> this was the general terms:
> 
> 1) Commercial Software gets 1 news item, ever, preferably 
> when they introduce PostgreSQL support.

I wasn't aware of that one. Last I heard, we were talking one per month,
top. Or possibly one per 2 months (nobody seem to remember which..)

The question then is - one per company, or one per product?

> 2) OSS Projects supporting PG get an announcement every major 
> version, but NOT for minor releases.

Wasn't aware of that one either :-) I wonder if this whole policy
discussion was from before I started doing the -slaves stuff. Either
that or I have a bad memory.

> 3) "Inside" projects (like PGAdmin & PostGIS) get an news 
> item whenever they have something new.

That, however, I knew :-)

> Lately, someone has been approving every single announcement 
> from AM software, giving them a front-page news item every 
> 2-3 weeks, frequently 
> for patch releases.   What gives?
> 
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.444
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.433
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.453

See pt 1 above. Also, remember that there are different ppl approving
different items. (I'm sure I have probably approved at least one of
those, but I also know I've thrown away at least one, so it's not like
*every* one gets approved)

//mha

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:32:27 -0800

> top. Or possibly one per 2 months (nobody seem to remember which..)

Not to mention that it is fairly nazi. We should be supporting all
commercial vendors with products that support PostgreSQL.

Using this methodology the community may never speak on the website 
again of:

Pervasive Postgres
EnterpriseDB
Mammoth Replicator

Cause they already have had their brief moment in the sun.

Or am I missing something?

Joshua D. Drake

-- 
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:35:16 -0800

Magnus,

> top. Or possibly one per 2 months (nobody seem to remember which..)

Actually, I think you're right, only it was more like once per 6 months per 
product.

> that or I have a bad memory.

It was on this list.   Will have to search the archives.

> *every* one gets approved)

Well, even if AMsoftware wasn't getting 1 item every 3 weeks, 2 of those 
should have been turned down on "lack of content" grounds alone.  With 
room for only 3 news items on the home page, I think we need to be really 
restrictive about what gets on.   If people want to announce things more 
frequently, there's the mailing list.  And we we need to be consistent, or 
we're going to make enemies.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:17:44 -0400 (AST)

> Actually, I think you're right, only it was more like once per 6 months per

Actually, I don't think that that is very fair ... its too broadstroke ... 
almost think we should add a 'Software Releases' section seperate from the 
News Items ... keep News Items for stuff like 'article announcements' or 
new service announcements, or such ... still need to have a policy on 
software announces (ie. only major.minor, but no 
major.minor.insignificant) ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:41:22 -0800

Marc,

> Actually, I don't think that that is very fair ... its too broadstroke
> ... almost think we should add a 'Software Releases' section seperate
> from the News Items ... keep News Items for stuff like 'article
> announcements' or new service announcements, or such ... still need to
> have a policy on software announces (ie. only major.minor, but no

I'd love this, but it would require a site design change.  If you remember, 
we'd talked about dividing the news tickers into 4 parts:  News, Product 
Announcements, Events and Training.   However, that didn't work with the 
design for the home page.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:59:57 -0400 (AST)

> design for the home page.

How much work would it be to fix up the right column on the main page?

Initial thoughts:

   Get rid of the individual dates ... change it to something like:

Latest News

Jan 2006
   Minor Versions ...
   Lattice SPGen vers ...
   PG Lightening ...
Dec 2005
   <anything in here>

Upcoming Events

Jan 2006
   PostgreSQL: Managing Roles ..
   Intense PostgreSQL Training ...
   PostgreSQL Training in Paris ...

   Also, truncate the 'headline' so that it fits all on one line ... click
on it to see the whole article, but don't span, in some cases, 3 lines ...

   And then just add the two new sections ...

----

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:41:44 +0000

> Actually, I don't think that that is very fair ... its too broadstroke ...

It was 1 announcement every 6 weeks, per company. It was because a certain
company whose flagship PG-related product happens to compete with pgAdmin
had so many software releases that had they all been approved they would
have almost constantly been on the top 3 list, and sometimes would have
filled it themselves.

> major.minor.insignificant) ...

That would take a non-trivial amount of work.

Regards, Dave