Subject: Re: Where to put the new donations page?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 20:02:48 +0100

> Folks,
> 
> Real Soon Now we're going to want to put up an new donations 
> page which funnels funds to the various PostgreSQL 
> non-profits (SPI, SPI-Europe, PostgreSQL.fr, JPUG).  
> Obviously, it would be better to make this part of the home 
> page ... www.postgresql.org/Donations or suchlike.

I'd suggest just updating the current one which lives at
www.postgresql.org/about/donate. No need to invent a new url ;-) Once
there is more info, we might want to make sure it shows up in the
section menu as well, and not just on the frontpage as it is now.

> Questions:
> 	1) Where do we put information about the Fundraising 
> Committee?  This ought to be public, but it would extend the 
> Donations page into multiple pages.  Is that OK?

What *is* the fundraising comitte? ;-)

But sure, I certainly see no problem extending the donation page to
multiple pages if there is too much info on it.

> 	2) Do major (> $1000) financial sponsors get to be 
> Sponsors at www.postgresql.org/about/Sponsors, or do we put 
> them somewhere else?  (we'll probably need to have this 
> argument on Advocacy as well).

I think that's more of an -advocacy question, really. If we're going to
put them somewhere else, we need to figure out what that's supposed to
be called...

> I also need to find out whether we might have to put the 
> PostgreSQL fund stuff on a separate web page; there are some 
> legal restrictions on what a 501(c)3 can share a web page with.

Bleh for new sites, but you knew that :-)

But since I don't know what the fund thingie is, and even less about US
legal restrictions, I can't comment on that.

//Magnus

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:02:03 -0500

> > legal restrictions on what a 501(c)3 can share a web page with.

This seems to be a central issue in the whole thing...  Are we deprecating the 
foundation website? If not we could just point to that?  Will SPI adding any 
postgres bits on thier site?  If we don't need a sperate site, but we have 
multiple pages of content, I could see adding a new top nav bit and 
subsequent section pages to cover everything. 

> legal restrictions, I can't comment on that.

lol

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:39:22 -0800

Robert,

> This seems to be a central issue in the whole thing...  Are we deprecating
> the foundation website? If not we could just point to that?  

I think so, yes, unless we trip those mentioned legal issues.   For one thing, 
I want a single page that points to *all* of the accredited PostgreSQL 
non-profits: SPI, FFIV, JPUG, PostgreSQLFr.org, and more in the future.

> Will SPI 
> adding any postgres bits on thier site?  

Yes.  I just made them an offer to re-host their site.  Clearly they need a 
CMS or something a bit easier to maintain.

> If we don't need a sperate site, 
> but we have multiple pages of content, I could see adding a new top nav bit
> and subsequent section pages to cover everything.

Me too.

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco