Subject: Re: Making the "Prominent Users" section easier to reach

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:07:02 +0100

> > > I'm not fussy about what we call it, but having a single 
> click from 
> > > the home page will be a Good Thing(TM) :)
> > 
> > I just don't see this rating a main menu item.
> > 
> > I do think it should be linked from Community as well as 
> About though.
> 
> I don't much care where on the front page it goes, but it 
> does belong on the front page.  I believe it does actually 
> rate such a position, but I'd like to hear why you think it's 
> less important than that.

Well, frontpage != top bar.

I agree it doesn't really rate a place in the top bar.

Putting it on the frontpage seems like a good idea, though. I see two
options:
1) Add it to the list of links under "Shortcuts". Then we just need a
name. I agree that "Users" is a bit ambigous. Considering what that
means on most websites ("if you're a user of our system, click here"), I
think something else is better. No, I don't have a direct example of
something better :-P

2) Put it in the featured user box. Replacing the "share your story"
link. (That link would be moved down into the case studies list)

//Magnus

---

From: "Guido Barosio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:10:49 +0000

Did a smallquicksimple research:

- MySQL seems to call it "Customers":

http://www.mysql.com/customers/

note: on the top bar, 1 click away from the home page.

- Firebird doesn't seems to serve the page on their main site, but on
ibphoenix under the "Firebird Users" name:

http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142330367:630751&page=ibp_users_firebird

note: not on their sourceforge home page, but on the foundation site, not
easy to access.

- SQLite, couldn't find any information, even googling.

Regards,
Guido Barosio

On 3/14/06, Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>        subscribe-nomail command to [email-masked] so that your
>        message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
>

--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .
X  - NO Word docs in e-mail .
/ \ -----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:31:49 -0800

> note: on the top bar, 1 click away from the home page.

PGDG doesn't really have "customers" in the sense that a unified
commercial entity like MySQL AB does.  I've been making my living from
PostgreSQL almost all of this century, but most of these outfits have
never been my "customers."

> - Firebird doesn't seems to serve the page on their main site, but
> on ibphoenix under the "Firebird Users" name:
> 
> note: not on their sourceforge home page, but on the foundation
> site, not easy to access.

Has anybody heard of any of these outfits?

> - SQLite, couldn't find any information, even googling.

Not a giant surprise.  SQLite is in the public domain, and their M.O.
is more stealthy.  They're what I recommend when people ask about an
embedded SQL system :)

How about a prominent link on the front page that says something like,

    Here are some organizations that use PostgreSQL.

I know it's wordy, but it gets the point across that this is a display
and not a help desk, blog, doc set...

Cheers,
D
-- 
David Fetter [email-masked] http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

---

From: "Guido Barosio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:48:17 +0000

What about "Featured Users"?

featured
     adj 1: made a feature or highlight; given prominence; "a featured
            actor"; "a featured item at the sale"

Actually, linking from the top bar wouldn't be a bad idea, as per the
case studies, for those who already have one, would be reachable from
that site, were the feature star will be postgresql, as the study
object.

Regards,
Guido Barosio

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:04:56 -0800

> What about "Featured Users"?

+1 :)

Cheers,
D

-- 
David Fetter <[email-masked]> http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:39:14 -0400 (AST)

+1

>> that site, were the feature star will be postgresql, as the study

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:01:31 -0800

Folks,

>     Here are some organizations that use PostgreSQL.

Speaking of which, could we drop the "PostgreSQL Revolution" thing from 
the Users page itself?  That's a rather trite phrase, and not really 
what we're about.

--Josh

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:03:45 -0800

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 10:01:31AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Speaking of which, could we drop the "PostgreSQL Revolution" thing
> from the Users page itself?  That's a rather trite phrase, and not
> really what we're about.

I'd be happy to.  What would you like in its place?

Cheers,
D

Remember to vote!

---

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:23:31 +0100

>> from the Users page itself?

>I'd be happy to.  What would you like in its place?

After reading the Wisconsin-Thread, I awoke this morning with:

PostgreSQL - works as documented.

and

PostgreSQL - supported by a community that does not put you on hold

"PostgreSQL - works as documented" is "stating the obvious" - but every
professional knows it's rather unusual for high tech products. With some
databases of some big vendor you really need some "initialization ritual"
(involving big money) to get to the deeper knowledge with the real thing
after missleading manuals.

regards

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare
Harald Armin Massa
Reinsburgstraße 202b
70197 Stuttgart
0173/9409607
-
When I visit a mosque, I show my respect by taking off my shoes. I follow
the customs, just as I do in a church, synagogue or other holy place. But if
a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the
public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission. And
that is incompatible with a secular democracy.