Subject: search.postgresql.org

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:57:23 -0800

Hello,

I was looking at our search configuration and I noted that out of a 
weight of 100 we are only weighing archives at 50 and varlena at 25.

That seems a little low as archives is the primary source of pratical
and real world issues and varlena is a great resource.

Thoughts?

Joshua D. Drake

-- 

             === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
       Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
       Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:07:55 -0500

> and real world issues and varlena is a great resource.

Um, what other resources are rated higher?  If you'll pardon my
ignorance, what other resources is the search engine considering at all?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 02:24:45 -0400 (AST)

> ignorance, what other resources is the search engine considering at all?

And maybe a short explanation of what these 'weights' are all about?  Does 
that just mean that when i search for something, archives results will 
always preceed varlena's?  And, if so, and we are only doing archives vs 
varlena, as long as archives is weighted higher then varlena, does it 
matter what the weights are?  Could be 1 + 2, no?

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: John Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:45:28 +1100

> matter what the weights are?  Could be 1 + 2, no?

That's right, the siteweights are just for making sure results from one
site is displayed before another.

A search on search.postgresql.org/archives.search ONLY considers the
archives anyways.

search.postgresql.org/www.search, however, returns results from all the
indexed sites, in order of relevance, with priority according to the
siteweights.

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>        match

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:58:58 -0800

> ignorance, what other resources is the search engine considering at all?

Below is the weights. As John said earlier they just decide who's links
show up first.

It seems to me that archives should be secondly only to 
www.postgresql.org. Once the new techdocs is live and we get some solid
content on there, then we can push that up.

Thoughts?

SiteWeight http://www.postgresql.org/ 100
SiteWeight http://advocacy.postgresql.org/ 100
SiteWeight http://jdbc.postgresql.org/ 100
SiteWeight http://developer.postgresql.org/ 100

# Authoritiative project site
SiteWeight http://gborg.postgresql.org/ 75
SiteWeight http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/ 75
SiteWeight http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/ 75
SiteWeight http://pgfoundry.org/ 75

# User contributed stuff
SiteWeight http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ 50
SiteWeight http://archives.postgresql.org/ 50

# Outside but reliable
SiteWeight http://www.varlena.com/ 25

# And the rest...
SiteWeight http://www.postgresql.cl/ 0
SiteWeight http://postgresql.ok.cz/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.postgresql.jp/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.postgresqlfr.org/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.linuxshare.ru/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.postgres.de/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.pgsqldb.org/ 0
SiteWeight http://www.postgresql.org.br/ 0

--

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:18:51 -0500

> SiteWeight http://archives.postgresql.org/ 50

Should planetpostgresql.org get added to this section?

Also maybe Oleg/Teodor could wiegh in with which sites they are currently 
indexing in pgsql.ru ?

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Oleg Bartunov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 00:00:34 +0300 (MSK)

> Also maybe Oleg/Teodor could wiegh in with which sites they are currently

we have 78 sites indexed, see http://pgsql.ru/db/pgsearch/stat.html
and do nothing with weights.

 	Regards,
 		Oleg
_____________________________________________________________
Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
Internet: [email-masked], http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

---

From: "Jim C. Nasby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:14:48 -0600

> and do nothing with weights.

Man, that's damn handy! We should really have something like that on the
main site, perhaps a "search the official sites" and "search
everything".
-- 
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [email-masked]
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

---

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:24:16 +0200

> and do nothing with weights.

Wow! That is really really fast and good. I would love to see this on
Postgresql main page (maybe linked), and ...
you do that with tsearch2 ?

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare
Harald Armin Massa
Reinsburgstraße 202b
70197 Stuttgart
0173/9409607
-
PostgreSQL - supported by a community that does not put you on hold