Subject: Re: Bittorrent (Was: RE: [HACKERS] [SUGGESTION] CVSync )

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:13:51 +0200

[moved to -www]

> Does anyone here know how to use the latest version of 
> Bittorrent, from a server vs client, perspective?  The one we 
> are currently running is *ancient*, and I'd like to get that 
> vServer upgraded and off the templates, but without someone 
> that knows how to setup the newer bittorrent, well, that's 
> just a scary proposition ;(

Ancient is a bit strong - it's about a year old. By that definition,
there's a whole lot of things that are a lot worse off on our servers.

That said, it's not good. But the fact that something changed on the box
that caused it to stop working in the past couple of days can't be
because of the version, since we've been running that version for a
year.

Moving on, some figures: In the active log now, we have about 4 million
FTP downloads and 190,000 bittorrent downloads. Meaning bittorrent is
only ~ 5% of our downloads. OTOH 190,000 downloads since Jan 11th, 2005
is still more than 400 downloads per day...

But the bottom line of that reasoning is, how much time do we want to
spend hacking around the bittorrent stuff? We're better off now than
before we had an automated system, but is it really something the end
user wants. (For example, we don't know how many of those hits are hits
by search engines and mirroring scripts - that could easily be a couple
of hundreds aday..)

As for migrating it to a differnt vserver - just make sure you have a
"close enough" version of python, and it should be no problem to just
tar up the whole directory and move it over. I wouldn't be particularly
worried about that part.

//Magnus

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:15:01 -0400 (AST)

> because of the version, since we've been running that version for a

'k, I looked at the server based on your report, and everything looks fine 
... so, can you let me know how to reproduce the problem you are seeing?

> tar up the whole directory and move it over. I wouldn't be particularly 

tar up what directory?  its the bittorrent binaries that I'm concerned 
about ... at some point, they merged all the various "utilities" into one 
'bittorrent' script ... there is no longer a 'btlaunchmany.py' script, for 
instance ...

And not sure what you are talking about concerning 'a year', but 
bittorrent was originally installed back in Nov of '03, according to the 
file stamps:

# ls -lt bt*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  5833 Nov 24  2003 btmakemetafile.pyc
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  6385 Nov 15  2003 btdownloadheadless.pyc

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 20:43:25 -0500

"Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]> writes:
> FTP downloads and 190,000 bittorrent downloads.

*Wow*, that seems like a lotta downloads ... what interval is this
measured over?

			regards, tom lane