Subject: pgfoundry and gborg

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:45:02 -0400 (EDT)

OK, it is been a few months since our last pgfoundry/gborg discussion,
and I have seen no progress in moving to only one site.  I now propose
we shut off gborg on June 1, and announce that fact!

-- 
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us
  EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:09:52 -0700

Bruce,

> we shut off gborg on June 1, and announce that fact!

I've been busy.  But I think that deadline is doable.

--Josh

-- 
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus		       Consultant
[email-masked]	 www.agliodbs.com
Ph: 415-752-2500	Fax: 415-752-2387
2166 Hayes Suite 200	San Francisco, CA

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:46:09 -0300 (ADT)

> I've been busy.  But I think that deadline is doable.

I won't claim busy on this one ... I'll claim fear of migrating the 
database stuff :(

We had a migration script built at one point ... does/can it work "per 
project"?  If so, I have no problems with working with project admins on a 
one-on-one basis to getting their projects migrated over ... I know Thomas 
Hallgren(sp?) will *happily* act as a guinea pig to test the script ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:53:38 -0700

Mark,

> I won't claim busy on this one ... I'll claim fear of migrating the

yeah, everybody has that.

> project"?  If so, I have no problems with working with project admins on
> a one-on-one basis to getting their projects migrated over ... I know
> Thomas Hallgren(sp?) will *happily* act as a guinea pig to test the
> script ...

The script was never fully debugged.  I'll have to do that.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:37:57 -0300 (ADT)

> The script was never fully debugged.  I'll have to do that.

As I said above, if you can spend the time to give me a clean "per 
project" script, I have to problems with doing the "per project" migration 
...

----

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:43:54 -0700

Marc,

> project" script, I have to problems with doing the "per project"
> migration ...

Sounds like a plan.

Question, again: am I correct that it will be easier to migrate mailman and 
CVS *before* moving to the new server, rather than after?

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:58:55 -0300 (ADT)

> CVS *before* moving to the new server, rather than after?

I'd say about the same ... rsync can be used in either case ... but, both 
being on the local network will eliminate any network delay ... its your 
call though ...

----

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:01:10 -0300 (ADT)

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> being on the local network will eliminate any network delay ... its your call 
> though ...

Appendum: but, we don't know how easy getting pgfoundry moved to the new 
server is going to be yet ... we've done the file/ports stuff, but, as far 
as I know, we haven't done any testing of the result (ie. run it live and 
check for any issues) ... if you want to move it to the new server first, 
let's concentrate on that and then worry about gborg->pgfoundry ...

----

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:23:39 -0700

Marc,

> server is going to be yet ... we've done the file/ports stuff, but, as
> far as I know, we haven't done any testing of the result (ie. run it
> live and check for any issues) ... if you want to move it to the new
> server first, let's concentrate on that and then worry about
> gborg->pgfoundry ...

No, the new server isn't ready yet so we can do things in any order -- 
there's issues with Apache and with one drive which I and Sean are working 
on.  The idea, though, is to have everything on pgfoundry on the new 
faster server by June 1.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:14:18 -0300 (ADT)

> on.  The idea, though, is to have everything on pgfoundry on the new

Well, if you *want*, we could do the conversion to FreeBSD 6.x / amd64 
right away, so that while you and Sean are working out the issues with the 
new server, we can get that part completed ... would just be a matter of 
upgrading software, without having to move databases at the same time ... 
then it would truly just be an 'rsync' to get it moved to the new server 
...

----