Subject: Re: Timeline on new techdocs?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:06:59 +0200

> >> Magnus tells me that the new techdocs is usable, but it's 
> not live on 
> >> the site.  What's the timeline on enabling it?
> >
> > It *is* live. It's just that the old one hasn't been killed 
> off yet. 
> > But if you go for technical documentation under docs, you 
> will get the 
> > new one.
> 
> Should we put a Redirect onto techdocs.postgresql.org so that 
> it goes to the right site?

Eventually, but not until everything is migrated and things are properly
verified.

//Magnus

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:14:41 -0300 (ADT)

> Eventually, but not until everything is migrated and things are properly

At the *very* least, those links that ppl are reporting as broken should 
be added to the apache config file and redirected to the new site ... it 
really doesn't look good as it is :(

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:55:02 -0400

> really doesn't look good as it is :(

I think your misreading the emails. There not broken links, but warnings that 
php is emitting out to the page. I suspect there has been a php.ini change 
that is causing this, but havent really looked (spending time on other 
things, including migrating content).  I do intend to start redirecting back 
to the main site, but there are some unresolved bugs I've hit so I have been 
overly agressive about it. 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 23:59:12 -0300 (ADT)

> overly agressive about it.

Ah, you are right, I did mis-read ... can you post me one of those URLs, 
and I can see if I can correct the PHP?

----

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:06:28 -0400

On Saturday 15 April 2006 22:59, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > I think your misreading the emails. There not broken links, but warnings
> > that php is emitting out to the page. I suspect there has been a php.ini
> > change that is causing this, but havent really looked (spending time on
> > other things, including migrating content).  I do intend to start
> > redirecting back to the main site, but there are some unresolved bugs
> > I've hit so I have been overly agressive about it.
>
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/redir.php?link=http://dancameron.org/pages/how-to-install-and-setup-postgresql-for-fedoralinux/

i'd start with looking up display_errors in the php.ini

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:52:05 -0300 (ADT)

fixed ... changed the code so that if HTTP_REFERER isn't set (ie. you come 
in directly and not through techdocs itself), it does the same as apache 
logs woudl do it, and sets it to "-" ... the second error was:

   $UserID = pg_result($dbresult, 0, userid);

Instead of:

   $UserID = pg_result($dbresult, 0, "userid");

the first is read as a constant value, the second a field place within the 
result set ...

Let me know if you see other stuff ...

----

---

From: "Jim C. Nasby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:41:33 -0500

> overly agressive about it. 

<hindsight type='20/20'>
If the migration was announced on both sites the errors would at least
be more understandable to users...
-- 
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [email-masked]
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461