Subject: Major upcoming upgrade to postgresql.org ...

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:51:05 -0300 (ADT)

Around the 1st of May, I'm planning on migrating the postgresql.org 
vServer to our new FreeBSD 6.x / amd64 server ... this will involve a few 
hours of downtime, as the ports used within the vServer will have to be 
upgraded, but that is why we've been moving off of using the older 
templates, to make this smoother ...

Over the next 2 weeks, I'm going to be migrating a couple of other 
vServers over to there, to test upgrading a vServer from i386 -> amd64, 
and FreeBSD 4.x -> FreeBSD 6.x, to see if it causes any problems ...

Two reasons for posting this:

    1. to give a heads up

    2. to make sure that there isn't anything that anyone knows about
       happening on / about the 1st of May that suggests it should be
       postponed a bit ...

Checking the calendar ... May 1st is a Monday ... preferring to do it on a 
weekend, will do it either April 29th, or May 6th, both Saturdays ... 
right now, I'm favoring the 29th date (the sooner, the better) ...

Once completed, a replica of this will be maintained at our new Toronto 
Data Center, to provide us with an "up to date" network failover backup 
...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: "Jim C. Nasby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:37:56 -0500

> right now, I'm favoring the 29th date (the sooner, the better) ...

Out of curiosity, do we have traffic stats for pgFoundry? I'm
specifically wondering if the site gets more hits during the week
(indicating professional usage) or during the weekend (hobbyists).

Actually, having that info for the main site would be interesting as
well...
-- 
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [email-masked]
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

---

From: "Guido Barosio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:10:44 +0000

In many countries the 1st of may is a non working day, just a heads up.
(Traffic should be less, and, in my case for example [a single
reader], I will probably be off [but why not others also?])

Just a comment :)

g.-

On 4/21/06, Jim C. Nasby <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------
http://www.globant.com
[email-masked]

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:22:24 -0300 (ADT)

> reader], I will probably be off [but why not others also?])

Actually, will do the upgrade on the Saturday before the 1st (April 29th)

----

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:47:24 -0300 (ADT)

http://www.pgfoundry.org/awstats.pl?month=04&year=2004&output=main&config=pgfoundry.org

nobody had asked before, so I hadn't been running it ... its setup to 
auto-update now, and is processing through "old logs" as we speak ...

----

---

From: "Jim C. Nasby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:48:27 -0500

> auto-update now, and is processing through "old logs" as we speak ...

Cool. I'd say it's worth linking to that from somewhere...

Happen to have stats for the main site as well? I guess that's a lot
trickier since it's on multiple servers...
-- 
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [email-masked]
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 20:24:57 -0300 (ADT)

> trickier since it's on multiple servers...

Actually, the main site's logging was disabled *long* ago ... after 
testing, it was found that the logging was causing slow downs ...

----