Subject: captcha

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 15:50:31 +0300

Hello,

Could someone please work on captcha thing for our comment submission
page? We have lots of list members in here, but I can't see much
progress on this.

If noone is willing to do, I'll put random photos of developers instead
of captcha and ask for their names.

Thanks,
-- 
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 06:25:14 -0700

> of captcha and ask for their names.

Funny, but no you won't :)

Joshua D. Drake

-- 

    === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
    Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
              http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 10:06:28 -0400

> Funny, but no you won't :)

If you put up a picture of the dancing elephant in place of Bruce's photo, I'm 
on board. 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 10:12:53 -0400 (EDT)

> If you put up a picture of the dancing elephant in place of Bruce's photo, I'm 

Make sure the elephant has a beard.  ;-)

-- 
  Bruce Momjian   [email-masked]
  EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 17:39:34 +0300

Hello,

> Funny, but no you won't :) 

Why not? :-) That will help the visibility of each developer. Hmm :)

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 07:44:31 -0700

> Why not? :-) That will help the visibility of each developer. Hmm :)

Because... many developers just aren't that pretty ;)

Joshua D. Drake

--

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:06:37 -0400 (EDT)

> Because... many developers just aren't that pretty ;)

How are other web sites using captchas legally?

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 08:23:08 -0700

>>>> instead

My guess is that they are ignoring the legality of it because they are 
likely hosted in the US (where I believe it is legal) and telling 
everyone else to kiss off...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:11:05 -0700

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 03:50:31PM +0300, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> Could someone please work on captcha thing for our comment
> submission page?  We have lots of list members in here, but I can't
> see much progress on this.

IMHO, you shouldn't see any "progress" and shouldn't try to make any.
Captcha is broken entirely at the design level
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha>, as neither prevents access by
bad actors nor allows blind people--or others without graphical
browsers--access at all.

> If noone is willing to do, I'll put random photos of developers
> instead of captcha and ask for their names.

See above.

Cheers,
D
-- 
David Fetter <[email-masked]> http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!