Subject: Patch for text.css

From: "Matt Perry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:04:59 -0800

Hi,

Could someone please look into applying this patch? The current style in
http://www.postgresql.org/layout/css/blue/text.css sets the visited and
non-visited link colors to be the same.  This patch fixes them to be
different so this navigation aid is restored.

Matt

--- text.css.orig    2007-01-05 11:56:37.295915200 -0800
+++ text.css    2007-01-05 11:57:27.347886400 -0800
@@ -129,7 +129,7 @@
 /* Link Styles */

 a:link                          { color:#0085B0; text-decoration:
underline; }
-a:visited                       { color:#0085B0; text-decoration:
underline; }
+a:visited                       { color:#004E66; text-decoration:
underline; }
 a:active                        { color:#0085B0; text-decoration:
underline; }
 a:hover                         { color:#000000; text-decoration:
underline; }

---

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 18:34:15 +0100

in principle  i like it, but there was a reason it was there. anyond know  why? Objections to changing it1?

/Magnus

------- Original message -------
From: Matt Perry <[email-masked]>
Sent: 1-5-'07,  12:04

> Hi,
> 
> Could someone please look into applying this patch? The current style in http://www.postgresql.org/layout/css/blue/text.css sets the visited and non-visited 
link colors to be the same.  This patch fixes them to be different so this navigation aid is restored.
>  a:link                          { color:#0085B0; text-decoration: underline; }
> -a:visited                       { color:#0085B0; text-decoration: underline; }
> +a:visited                       { color:#004E66; text-decoration: underline; }
>  a:active                        { color:#0085B0; text-decoration: underline; }
>  a:hover                         { color:#000000; text-decoration: underline; }
> 
>

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 12:48:02 -0500

> in principle  i like it, but there was a reason it was there. anyond know  why? Objections to changing it1?

Surely it was just a typo --- I can't believe anyone would intentionally
hide the difference between visited and unvisited links.  The question
though is what two colors we want to use.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 22:37:00 -0500

> though is what two colors we want to use.

I'd be more surprised if it wasn't done intentionally; web designers use this 
technique all the time, claiming it adds a more consitent color scheme / look 
to the website.  Usability analysts will tell you that anything you think you 
gain in asthetics is lost in breaking the standard color conventions people 
are used to. The above patch sets visited links as a darker/paler blue; if we 
are going to change it I'd suggest going with the standard purple color (or 
something very similar). 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 18:26:46 +0100

> are going to change it I'd suggest going with the standard purple color (or 

Or should we perhaps just stop setting a color at all on it? That would
let the browser choose color? I don't know how common it is for people
to change the colors of the links, but I'm sure some do... And then we'd
just go with whatever the browser had?

//Magnus

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 20:53:30 -0500

Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]> writes:
> let the browser choose color?

I wouldn't vote for that; the odds are good that the browser's defaults
would look ugly, or maybe even be nearly invisible against our
backgrounds.  We *should* set the link colors ... just not to the same
thing.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:20:00 +0100

> backgrounds.  We *should* set the link colors ... just not to the same

I've applied the patch to http://magnus-master.pgadmin.org with the
color as suggested, for review.

Thoughts? Different color? Suggestions?

//Magnus

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 16:29:53 +0000

> Thoughts? Different color? Suggestions?

Looks fine to me.

/D

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:58:48 -0500

> Thoughts? Different color? Suggestions?

I had a hard time differentiating it last night, so I changed it to use the 
standard color on http://xzilla.postgresql.org just to get a different look. 
Anyone interested in comparing can check it out.

---

From: "Dan Langille" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 00:26:23 -0500

> Anyone interested in comparing can check it out. 

FWIW, I'm slightly colour blind.  I see the differences in the first 
one better.

-- 
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php
PGCon - The PostgreSQL Conference - http://www.pgcon.org/

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 21:17:28 +0100

> Anyone interested in comparing can check it out. 

I personally think yours is clearer, but I'm a bit concerned on the
third opinion ;-) Anybody else care to chime in?

//Magnus

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:19:31 -0800

> third opinion ;-) Anybody else care to chime in?

None you have any clue ;)

Joshua D. Drake

P.S. You can now ignore the third opinion and move forward :)

> 
> //Magnus
> 
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>        match
> 
-- 

      === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 17:13:03 -0500 (EST)

Are we going to apply this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
  Bruce Momjian   [email-masked]
  EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:46:31 +0100

I was hoping someone else would comment on which one of the two they
preferred before we committed it. And then I promptly forgot about it ;-)

So, which one do people prefer?

//Magnus

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:02:22 -0500 (EST)

I think the feedback was that using the standard colors was too likely
to look bad on the web site.  Perhaps you should just increase the
different between the blues on your version and commit it, and then ask
for more feedback.

---

From: "Matt Perry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:15:17 -0800

On 1/20/07, Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Perhaps you should just increase the

Is there any chance that this could be deployed soon?

Matt

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 21:44:00 -0500

> Is there any chance that this could be deployed soon?

Did you have an opinion on the quasi-blue vs standard colors? I'm inclined to 
commit the stand colors unless you speak up.

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 22:26:28 -0500 (EST)

> commit the stand colors unless you speak up. 

I think the consensus was that the quasi-blue was better than using
standard because the standard might not look good on our site.

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:59:02 -0500 (EST)

> commit the stand colors unless you speak up. 

Looks like this has been applied.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian   [email-masked]
  Homepage        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com
  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:11:49 -0500

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 13:59, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > > different between the blues on your version and commit it, and then
> > > > ask for more feedback.
> > >
> > Did you have an opinion on the quasi-blue vs standard colors? I'm
> > inclined to commit the stand colors unless you speak up.
>

Yep, I applied it a few days ago. :-)

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 16:07:15 -0500 (EST)

> Yep, I applied it a few days ago. :-)

Looks good.