Subject: Search on postgresql.org doesn't work properly?

From: "Nikolay Samokhvalov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:03:40 +0300

Trying to search for "INHERITS" I see empty result:
http://search.postgresql.org/search?u=%2Fdocs%2F8.2%2Finteractive%2F&q=INHERITS

"Your search for INHERITS returned no hits."

But if I check "Include community sites" checkbox, I get 467 links:
http://search.postgresql.org/search?u=%2Fdocs%2F8.2%2Finteractive%2F&q=INHERITS&a=1

"Results 1-20 of 467. ..."

Why so?  The first link found is
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html.
Why the main documentation is included to search results only when
"Include community sites" is selected?

Also, a couple of additional notes:
 1. I would add DISTINCT to search SELECT (in the example above
results 2-5 are the same,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html).
 2. I'd also add ordering rule to push most recent version of
documentation up (in the same example we see that #1 is docs for v8.1,
and only after that -- the same page for v8.2).

-- 
Best regards,
Nikolay

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:46:37 +0100

> "Your search for INHERITS returned no hits."

Thanks for reporting this, fixed. It was a case of double-escaping the
suburl, so it actually search in '/docs instead of /docs.

(The problem was in the suburl search, not in the word inherits itself)

> http://search.postgresql.org/search?u=%2Fdocs%2F8.2%2Finteractive%2F&q=INHERITS&a=1

Including community sites negates the url restriction, that's why.

> "Include community sites" is selected?

Because it searches main docs *plus* community sites. Thus, "include".
Otherwise we'd have a completely different selection in the menu on the
left.

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html).

They're not distinct, they're from different versions.

> 2.
> I'd also add ordering rule to push most recent version of

Yeah, that's on my TODO list.

//Magnus