Subject: Broken links in presskit

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:59:34 +0200

Going through the logs on the new wwwmaster to find broken links, I noticed
that almost every presskit for 8.2 contained broken links in them. Mainly
to the sourceforge site (which missed sourceforge.net!) but also to
regional sites, and to pages on our own site.

Clearly, the verification of all the links in the presskits needs to be
added to the presskit checklist (i assume there is one somewhere) for 8.3
and on.

(I've fixed the links for now)

//Magnus

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:36:32 -0400

> (I've fixed the links for now)

Perhaps there should be some automated link checking for the postgresql 
website? 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:11:14 +0200

> Perhaps there should be some automated link checking for the postgresql 

Taht's not a bad idea. I talked it over briefly with Dave yesterday, and we
discussed doing it in the mirror script. This can probably be done, but it
rquires some re-archtecturing of the mirror script (which may be needed
anyway, as it's very inefficient somewhere - it represents about 98% of
the CPU usage for a site build - compared to 2% for both the server-side
PHP and the database server). 

That said, I *still* think we need better quality-control on the submitted
press info, given that the mirror script can only tell that a link exists,
not that it points to the correct place.

//Magnus

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 21:48:27 -0300

Magnus,

>> added to the presskit checklist (i assume there is one somewhere) for 8.3

I sent the presskit to this list for validation (nobody responded), and 
pestered you on IM to validate them.  *You* told me the links were OK.

So I have it on my checklist, but if I don't get any help to 
double-check them, I really don't see that I can do any better.

--Josh

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:10:11 +0200

> pestered you on IM to validate them.  *You* told me the links were OK.

You mean me personally? I have no recollection at all of that, just
validating the HTML compliance. But if you say so, I must've forgotten ;-)

> double-check them, I really don't see that I can do any better.

It's good that it's on the checklist. It could be that we need the
regional contacts to verify the links on their language version once the
code has been added to the website? It can be hard to check links in say
japanese...

//Magnus

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:48:43 -0300

Magnus,

Well, you only did the english version.  Are you saying that links got 
broken *after* translation?  That could be an issue I really didn't 
think of ... well, to be more accurate, I didn't think of any way to do 
anything about it.

Suggestions?  The automated link checker mentioned?

The issue is that we often don't get final translations until ~~ 3 days 
before the release, and we have a lot of them.  So I'm not sure checking 
by hand will help.

--Josh

---

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:10:40 +0200

> think of ... well, to be more accurate, I didn't think of any way to do 

Both. There was one broken link in the template that propagated to a lot of files (But some translators fixed it in their copy). and several different ones in 
different translations.

> Suggestions?  The automated link checker mentioned?

That would help, but it can only get so far. I think for something as important as the press kit we need manual checking. I think it would help to ask the 
translators to doublecheck all links after the page has gone up on the website.

> before the release, and we have a lot of them.  So I'm not sure checking 

Well, if we run out of time it's still better to have it fixed a couple of days later than not at all.

/Magnus