Subject: The template/en/about/features.html file

From: "Adrian Maier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 16:16:16 +0300

Hello,

While translating the different files in template, i have stumbled
upon  about/features.html.
Perhaps I am not looking at the right place, but i haven't been
able to find any links to this page.

The question is: should i spend time with translating this file?

--
Adrian Maier

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 11:00:20 -0400

> able to find any links to this page.

It's not currently being pushed out to the live site, so from that standpoint 
it is unused. 

> The question is: should i spend time with translating this file?

Currently I would say no since it isn't on the live site... the better 
question is do people feel this page should be added into the website?  You 
can view it at http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/about/features.html.  We could 
link to it in the about nav, though it probably needs an update first (also 
we don't normally list authorship on specific pages, not sure if people want 
that to be removed)

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Adrian Maier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 11:35:47 -0400

> we don't normally list authorship on specific pages, not sure if people want

Thanks for the clarification , Robert !
For the moment i'll skip over this file.

Cheers,
Adrian Maier

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 08:34:13 -0700

Robert,

> can view it at http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/about/features.html.  We
> could link to it in the about nav, though it probably needs an update first
> (also we don't normally list authorship on specific pages, not sure if
> people want that to be removed)

Seems somewhat duplicative of the current /about/, which we're also having 
trouble keeping up to date.  BTW, I just noticed that the "advantages" menu 
link doesn't link to anything.  What page is supposed to be there?

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 08:38:31 -0700

Devs,

Clearly we need an automated link checker

All of these pages have recently gone missing. Please check ASAP for site 
build problems:

http://www.postgresql.org/about/advantages
http://www.postgresql.org/about/quotesarchive
http://www.postgresql.org/about/awards
http://www.postgresql.org/about/users
http://www.postgresql.org/about/history
http://www.postgresql.org/about/sponsors
http://www.postgresql.org/about/newsarchive
http://www.postgresql.org/about/eventarchive
http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 17:51:04 +0200

> http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence

erm ? all those seem to work both on the mirrors and wwwmaster itself -
so not sure what you are complaining about ?

Stefan

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 08:56:18 -0700

Stefan,

> so not sure what you are complaining about ?

I'm getting a 404.  How do I determine which mirror I'm on?

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 12:56:22 -0300

Josh may have hit it mid-build?

- --On Friday, May 04, 2007 17:51:04 +0200 Stefan Kaltenbrunner 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 11:57:03 -0400

> so not sure what you are complaining about ?

Well, they only start working when you add the ".html" stuff at the back :-)

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 09:00:17 -0700

Alvaro,

> Well, they only start working when you add the ".html" stuff at the back

Right, which is not what the menu links do.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 13:10:18 -0300

> Well, they only start working when you add the ".html" stuff at the back :-)

Have you tried the links without the .html? :)  They work for me *without* the 
.html and with them ... and if you check the menu on the left, you will notice 
none of them have .html either :)

- ----

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 12:17:57 -0400

> none of them have .html either :)

I've been checking the mirrors for Stefan, and the URLs do work for some
mirrors but not others.  YMMV depending on source IP and traffic
conditions.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 09:18:29 -0700

> Have you tried the links without the .html? :)  They work for me *without*
> the .html and with them ... and if you check the menu on the left, you will
> notice none of them have .html either :)

Not Found
The requested URL /about/awards was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 Server at www.postgresql.org Port 80
(tested: Firefox 2.0, Konqueror 3.4)

... they're not working for me, which means that they're not working for other 
people as well.  I think this may be mirror-configuration specific; again, 
how do I tell which mirror I'm on?

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 12:19:14 -0400

> how do I tell which mirror I'm on?

(12:13:09) [email-masked]/Gaim: hmm, how do I know what
mirror I was using the first time?
(12:13:20) Stefan Kaltenbrunner: you don't

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 18:23:05 +0200

> Josh may have hit it mid-build?

Should make no difference - the files are not removed during build, they're
overwritten. In theory if a mirror rsynced right in the middle of build,
*one* file could be broken.

//Magnus

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 09:27:52 -0700

Magnus,

> *one* file could be broken.

The issue appears to be that our left-hand menu links are created 
without .html, and that doesn't resolve on all mirrors.  We're going to have 
to change our way of generating the menus.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 18:28:44 +0200

> (tested: Firefox 2.0, Konqueror 3.4)

hmm the only server with that response in the rotation is horta though
it does work for me - maybe an issue with content negotiation ?

> how do I tell which mirror I'm on?

you just did ;-)

Stefan

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 18:40:37 +0200

> to change our way of generating the menus.

No. They *must* be generated without the .html, or they will break the
language negotiation stuff.

The problem is that apparantly one mirror is not serving them up properly.

//Magnus

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 18:41:05 +0200

> to change our way of generating the menus.

it looks like the actual issue is that one mirror (horta) is troubled -
but not in the way you think it is.
I suspect this is simply a partial sync issue especially since horta had
some issues during the last few days connectivity wise.
We will take it out of the rotation for further investigation ...

Stefan

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 12:46:10 -0400

> mirrors but not others.  YMMV depending on source IP and traffic

I noticed a few days ago that the "more" links at the bottom of the home
page (eg, "more news") were broken, and was meaning to file a complaint
about that, and then when I looked again it seemed fixed.  I bet it is
mirror-specific.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 18:52:05 +0200

> about that, and then when I looked again it seemed fixed.  I bet it is

Yeah. A look at it now shows those links broken on Horta, but working on
others. Horta is now gone from DNS, we're just waiting for some
propagation..

//Magnus

---

From: "Adrian Maier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 19:56:09 +0300

On 5/4/07, Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:
> trouble keeping up to date.

> BTW, I just noticed that the "advantages" menu

Josh,  the "Advantages" link seems to be ok from here ;  it links
to http://www.postgresql.org/about/advantages .

-- 
Adrian Maier