Subject: Can we change the website for OSCON + PDXPGDAY?

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:15:38 -0700

I think the subject says it all.
-- 

       === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
PostgreSQL Replication: http://www.commandprompt.com/products/

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:31:15 +0200

> I think the subject says it all.

I assume you mean more than just a listing under events?

We don't normally do that for "generic conferences with pg tracks" -
we've only done it for the PostgreSQL dedicated ones so far (2xcanada +
1xitaly), unless I'm mistaken. I'm not sure we want to go there - there
are lots of such conferences, and that's really what the events listing
is for. Conferences held by pg people and dedicated to pg is a different
thing, imo.

Having said that, I'm definitely not against having the website
frontpage change more often, as it makes the site seem more alive :-)

But to sum things up, nothing is likely to happen unless someone makes a
more complete proposal for what :P It'll be a lot easier to convince
people then...

//Magnus

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:44:38 -0700

> is for. Conferences held by pg people and dedicated to pg is a different

Well we have a dedicated PGDay which is why I asked. It is Sunday and it 
is *only* Pg.

Joshua D. Drake

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
> 

--

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:02:38 -0700

>> We don't normally do that for "generic conferences with pg tracks" -

I would also note that this is not a "generic conference" it is pretty 
much one of the two biggest conferences in the US for PostgreSQL.

Joshua D. Drake

--

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:03:02 +0200

> Well we have a dedicated PGDay which is why I asked. It is Sunday and it

Ah, wasn't aware of that. Having a writeup on that part I'm certainly
not against, but the point below still holds.

>> more complete proposal for what :P It'll be a lot easier to convince

Then in your other mail,

> much one of the two biggest conferences in the US for PostgreSQL.

So, maybe I used the wrong word - I'll blame it on English not being my
native language :-) It's a "generic conference" from the perspective
that it's not a dedicated PostgreSQL event (like pgcon or pgday). I'm
unsure exactly how much of oscon is actually about PostgreSQL, but I'd
be greatly surprised (in a positive way!) if it was more than say 10% or
so. Actually, I'd be *very* happy if it was as much as 10%, which is
very far from dedicated. But the fact remains that the top name of their
speaker list is the CEO of mysql :-P

So, that's what I meant with generic. There may be a better word for it...

But again, I'm absolutely not against someone writing something up about
the dedicated PostgreSQL day.

//Magnus

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:31:32 -0400

On Saturday 21 July 2007 06:03, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> so. 

This is true for the conference itself, but with tutorials, talks, and bofs 
ranging from 50-100 people in attendence, it rivals attendence figures of 
both pgday and pgcon on number of pg minded attendee's, and AFAIK, it is the 
largest technical conference for postgresql users in the US. 

> Actually, I'd be *very* happy if it was as much as 10%, which is 

Actually the top name on thier speaker list is Kristen Accardi, a kernel 
developer from Intel. A late addition, it did use to be Mr. Aker...  perhaps 
you'd be willing to change your name to Aagander for next year, then we would 
be the top :-P

> the dedicated PostgreSQL day.

ok, i'll try and get to it later on, short of joshua sending some verbiage 
before that (which he hopefully will)

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:46:04 +0200

> largest technical conference for postgresql users in the US. 

I never said it wasn't. I'm just saying it's not *dedicated*.

> you'd be willing to change your name to Aagander for next year, then we would 

Actually, it was Mårten Mickos, who's the CEO. Aker is not the CEO.. ;-)

Now that I look at it again, it seems to randomly rotate amongst a bunch
of different people :-) Can't find any pg people in the rotation though :-(

//Magnus