Subject: Any use for two Compaqs in Europe?

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:31:11 -0700

Folks,

Continuent has offered us two fairly current Compaq servers (specs pending) 
for donation.  The machines are currently in Grenoble, France, and we'd have 
to supply transportation to whereever we want to host them.

If they weren't in Europe, I could really use them for our performance lab, 
but intercontinental transport is liable to be more than they're worth.

So, is there somewhere we could use these?

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:56:07 +0200

> So, is there somewhere we could use these?

hmm - compaq sounds like older gear(so let's get some specs!) but I
could certainly come up with hosting if we find some use for it.

Stefan

---

From: Decibel! <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:09:47 -0700

> So, is there somewhere we could use these?

How heavy are they? Someone flying across the pond could potentially  
take them as checked luggage...
-- 
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        [email-masked]
EnterpriseDB      http://enterprisedb.com      512.569.9461 (cell)

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:56:17 +0200

> take them as checked luggage...

Been a while since you dealt with this kind of hardware, right? ;-)

If it's actualyil a compaq (and not a HP), it's very large. And even if
it's a modern HP, it's certainly not something you stick in your suitcase
;-)

//Magnus

---

From: Stéphane Schildknecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:04:16 +0200

Hi Josh,

PostgreSQLFr is interested in getting thoses machines, as we are looking
for a better way to host the postgresqlfr.org website.

What's more we have a solution to take the servers in Grenoble.

Just let me know if it's OK for You.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Stéphane Schildknecht

-- 
Stéphane Schildknecht
Volunteer Regional Contact
France
[email-masked]
phone: +33 9 53 69 97 12
cell: +33 6 13 60 37 44

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:36:36 -0700

> Just let me know if it's OK for You.

It's good by me.   WWW team?

--Josh

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:26:16 +0100

> It's good by me.   WWW team?

No objections here.

Regards, Dave

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:04:32 +0200

> It's good by me.   WWW team?

I'd like to see the specs of the servers before committing. If they're well
performing machines, I would suggest we set them up as VM hosts the same
way as the others, and not dedicate them to one task.

Now,if we do that, I'm absolutely not against sticking them in the pgfr
guys place in Grenoble. Actually, I think it's a great idea - not putting
all eggs in the same place. But I would suggest we set it up in a way that
the postgresqlfr.org website has one dedicated VM, and we have other VMs
available for other things as needed.

Oh, also - Stephane, what's the datacenter like? Connectivity,
availability, etc?

That's assuming the machiens are actually reasonably new - if they're
actual "compaq" machines that means they're old, and probably not
worthwhile setting up VMs on. So in that case, I'm fine with single-task
box dedicated to postgresqlfr.org.

//Magnus