Subject: pgweb cvs repository moving ...

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 08:56:12 -0400

Early tomorrow morning (at about this time), I will be moving the CVS 
repository from gborg -> pgfoundry, after which any writes should go to 
pgfoundry ... gborg will stay up for 24 hours after that, while any 'read 
related' scripts are updated to pull from pgfoundry, after which gborg will be 
shut down ...

gborg will be down at about this time on thursday morning.

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 13:20:56 +0000

> gborg will be down at about this time on thursday morning.

Err, hang on - do you know what exactly will need to be changed on
wwwmaster? That *must* be figured out first.

It's also the case that some people (myself included) have modified code
in existing checkouts. Do you have some perl to fixup those trees with
the new cvsroot? (and yes, I know I could probably find something myself
but I don't have time atm).

/D

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:42:13 +0100

> wwwmaster? That *must* be figured out first.

Uh, yes. For the record, finding someone to do that was a condition for me
approving this at all :-)

I would also *like* to go with the separate-repository approach so we can
get != cvs, as discussed in another thread, but if things are so pressed 
that we need to shut this down today, maybe that can't be done.

//Magnus

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 17:16:33 +0100

> that we need to shut this down today, maybe that can't be done.

Ok, I wil hopefully have some time tonight I can put into testing scripts
and such. For now, we're popping over a tarball of the repo to JD for an
attempt to create us a svn site for it. If that works, we'll go with that
one instead. If it fails, we'll go with the pgFoundry route.

So for web people - please don't commit right now. If you do, pelase do a
"cvs diff" first so it can be manually applied to the other repo.

Oh, and to Dave and others that have things checked out. I think the
easiest way is to do a "cvs diff" on it before we kill of gborg, and apply
that to the new tree. This is independent of which way we end up going, but
it has to be done before gborg is killed.

//Magnus

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:42:09 -0500

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 07:56, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> related' scripts are updated to pull from pgfoundry, after which gborg will
> be shut down ...
>

Can you clarify... are you just killing the pgweb project on gborg, or all of 
gborg? 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 12:51:08 -0400

> Can you clarify... are you just killing the pgweb project on gborg, or all of

All of gborg is going down ...

- ----

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 12:00:39 -0500

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 11:51, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> --On Tuesday, November 06, 2007 11:42:09 -0500 Robert Treat
>
> >> pgfoundry ... gborg will stay up for 24 hours after that, while any
> >> 'read related' scripts are updated to pull from pgfoundry, after which
> >> gborg will be shut down ...
> >>
> > Can you clarify... are you just killing the pgweb project on gborg, or
> > all of gborg?
>

Wow, I think thats a horrible decision.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 13:26:33 -0400

> Wow, I think thats a horrible decision.

Considering that we've been trying to shut this down for, what, almost 2 years 
now?  And both you and JD have been beating your heads against the wall trying 
to get the holdouts to move?  The site will be backed up, so that any left can 
still be moved, it just won't be 'up and running' anymore ...

- ----

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 13:47:16 -0500

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 12:26, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> --On Tuesday, November 06, 2007 12:00:39 -0500 Robert Treat
>
> >> >> repository from gborg -> pgfoundry, after which any writes should go
> >> >> to pgfoundry ... gborg will stay up for 24 hours after that, while
> >> >> any 'read related' scripts are updated to pull from pgfoundry, after
> >> >> which gborg will be shut down ...
> >> >>
> Considering that we've been trying to shut this down for, what, almost 2
> years now?  And both you and JD have been beating your heads against the
> wall trying to get the holdouts to move?  The site will be backed up, so
> that any left can still be moved, it just won't be 'up and running' anymore

The reason this project has not been completed is due to a lack of manpower / 
initiative from the web team, not due to resistence from the projects 
themselves.  We actually have made progress (slow, but progress 
none-the-less), I'm not sure why your so fired up to shut it off so 
immediatly.

---

From: Kris Jurka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 15:08:17 -0500 (EST)

> Wow, I think thats a horrible decision.

Indeed.  Archiving CVS repositories is only a minor part of the problem as 
anyone familiar with the gborg migration will tell you.  Mailing lists, 
their archives, bug reports, file downloads, ... All that stuff has to be 
dealt with.  If we're never going to come up with an automated migration 
plan, then we at least need to allow time for people to do a manual 
migration or archival of what they feel is important to their projects. 
Unilaterally declaring that gborg will be shutdown with a 24 hour window 
doesn't seem reasonable.  I'm sure many interested parties aren't even 
subscribed to this list.

If you want to give up on automated migration, then we need a wider 
announcement, more time, and the readiness of pgfoundry admins to 
accomodate the needs of moving projects.

Kris Jurka