Subject: List types

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:55:51 +0100

What's the difference between "Regional lists" and "User Groups Lists"? I
mean, we have persian pug under regional, but sydney and portland under
user groups... Should we just merge these?

(http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/)

//Magnus

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:05:17 +0000

>  (http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/)

The PUGs are supposed to be groups working on face to face events etc.
The Regionals are actually a kind of mix of language and
region-speciifc content.

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL UK 2008 Conference: http://www.postgresql.org.uk

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 14:29:49 +0100

> The Regionals are actually a kind of mix of language and

So why is persian pug under regional? Soudns like it's either in the wrong
place, or has the wrong name...

//Magnus

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:50:20 +0000

>  place, or has the wrong name...

Oh, I don't know - stop asking technical questions on the www list :-p

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 07:10:59 -0800

Magnus,

> >  So why is persian pug under regional? Soudns like it's either in the
> > wrong place, or has the wrong name...

I think it's in the wrong place.  Who runs it, anyway?

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:12:30 +0100

> I think it's in the wrong place.  Who runs it, anyway?

No clue :-)
But since the list-of-lists is now in a database, it's a simple UPDATE to
move it, once you're sure.

//Magnus

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 12:20:14 -0300

> move it, once you're sure.

Cool.  Should we now have a redirect on http://archives.postgresql.org/,
or something?

Also, should pgsql-announce be on its own category?  It doesn't seem
correct to have it under "user lists".  IMHO anyway.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:21:27 +0100

> Cool.  Should we now have a redirect on http://archives.postgresql.org/,

Not yet. I need to chat to you about some things around that one. There are
more things that we need to fix before we can start hacking on that one.

> correct to have it under "user lists".  IMHO anyway.

Might be a good idea - suggest a name :P "Announcement lists"?

//Magnus

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 12:29:20 -0300

> more things that we need to fix before we can start hacking on that one.

Okay, cool.

> Might be a good idea - suggest a name :P "Announcement lists"?

"Announcements"

---

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 07:46:52 -0800

>  The Regionals are actually a kind of mix of language and

Looking over the user group and regional lists, I feel like we need a
new category.

Here's what I propose:

User Groups
   * organizing face-to-face meetings, local advocacy.  generally
highly-local discussion that is a mix of technical/non-technical

Regional Organization
   * larger geographic area, non-profit groups, primarily
non-technical discussion

Language-specific lists
   * These follow the model of pgsql-general - providing technical
support and referrals in a specific language: pgsql-es-ayuda,
pgsql-fr-generale and the Persian list *seem* to follow this model.
Alvarro could speak for pgsql-es-ayuda.  I *think* pgsql-it-generale
also falls in that category.  Gabriele?

Does that division sit well with people?  I can offer a patch later on
today for the pages and sidebars.

-selena

-- 
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group
http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
http://www.chesnok.com/daily

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:49:51 +0100

> also falls in that category.  Gabriele?

(I'm not commenting on this ATM, in the hope that others will)

> today for the pages and sidebars.

It lives in the database as of today, so there's no patch to move these
things around. It's a bunch of UPDATE statements...

//Magnus

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 07:51:53 -0800

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 14:29:49 +0100
Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > > What's the difference between "Regional lists" and "User Groups
> > > Lists"? I mean, we have persian pug under regional, but sydney
> > > and portland under user groups... Should we just merge these?
> > >
> > The PUGs are supposed to be groups working on face to face events
> > etc. The Regionals are actually a kind of mix of language and
> > region-speciifc content.

If we actually have a definition of each list. I would like to see us
include that definition the page:

User lists:

Used for technical questions about PostgreSQL

Regional Lists:

Lists designated to specific geographical regions.

User Group Lists:

Lists for local user groups. Contact them for local PostgreSQL events.

I am sure the wording needs some work, but you get my point.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
- -- 
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ 
PostgreSQL Community Conference: http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 17:03:49 +0100

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 07:51:53AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 

It doesn't right now, but it's easy enough to add it. I'll look at that
once we have agreement on what the categories shuold be :-) (See Selenas
mail)

//Magnus

---

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 08:13:47 -0800

>  Used for technical questions about PostgreSQL

I like that. Sounds nicer than 'language-specific'.  For each list, it
would be good to indicate which language is used.

>  Regional Lists:

I think this should be 'Regional Organizations':

Lists for geographical regions, includes non-profit groups and are for
regional coordination and non-technical discussion.

>  Lists for local user groups. Contact them for local PostgreSQL events.

This sounds good to me!

-selena

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 15:37:26 -0300

> today for the pages and sidebars.

Yeah, pgsql-es-ayuda is language-specific and not region-specific in the
way you describe.  I would think tr-genel also falls in this category.

It would also seem to make sense to separate PUGs from "regional org"
stuff.  Would this mean that the current "Persian PUG" is not really a
PUG but rather a regional organization?  Also, I wonder whether the
Persian PUG, or other country-wide lists, should be actually in both
categories.

(With the current rapid growth of PUGs I wonder whether it would be good
to categorize them by country.)