Subject: List footers still wrong

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 22:12:52 +0100

The signature divider on the new list footers is still "--\n".  It should 
be "-- \n".

The pgsql-general list still uses the old "end of broadcast" footer.

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:17:58 -0800

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 22:12:52 +0100
Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The signature divider on the new list footers is still "--\n".  It
> should be "-- \n".

As I recall, Marc said majordomo was eating the last space.

> The pgsql-general list still uses the old "end of broadcast" footer.

I am still confused on this. We should just point everything to:

http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe

Joshua D. Drake

> --
> Sent via pgsql-www mailing list ([email-masked])
> To make changes to your subscription:
> http://mail.postgresql.org/mj/mj_wwwusr?domain=postgresql.org&extra=pgsql-www
> 

- -- 
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ 
PostgreSQL Community Conference: http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:27:13 -0500 (EST)

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 

Agreed.  If we can get 'eliminatecc' and 'selfcopy' added I can point to
there from the FAQ.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:28:13 -0300

> As I recall, Marc said majordomo was eating the last space.

My guess is that it could be fixed if he edited the file directly
instead of via the web form.

> http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe

No, we have a good URL that Magnus set up a couple of days ago, but Marc
hasn't gotten the word it seems.  He requires heavy nudging at times,
apparently.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:35:45 -0800

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:28:13 -0300

> No, we have a good URL that Magnus set up a couple of days ago, but
> Marc hasn't gotten the word it seems.  He requires heavy nudging at
> times, apparently.

What URL? it seems odd that we don't use the very form we are supposed
to for managing this stuff, from the .Org website.

Joshua D. Drake 

- --

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:53:06 -0500 (EST)

> to for managing this stuff, from the .Org website.

Agreed.  How is the redirect going to be much better than the web site
one?

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:53:15 +0100

> to for managing this stuff, from the .Org website.

The URL http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www for this list, for 
example. Substitute as necessary.

//Magnus

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:57:24 -0400

- --On Thursday, March 06, 2008 22:12:52 +0100 Peter Eisentraut
<[email-masked]> 

> The signature divider on the new list footers is still "--\n".  It should

Nothing I can do about that ... majordomo is stripping the trailing blanks, 
unless Alverro knows of something I've overlooking to get that extra space in 
there?  I'll pop a quick note out to the mj2 list to see if there is a way of 
doing this, is there some RFC or something that I can reference that details -- 
\n as a standard?

> The pgsql-general list still uses the old "end of broadcast" footer.

Fixed ... did a quick grep on the other lists to make sure, and only 
pgsql-general was different ...

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:59:05 -0400

> http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe

Different issue ... majordomo has a 'DEFAULT' configuration that all lists 
follow, but you can do a per list configuration too ... -general seems to have 
had a list specific message_footer configuration, just had to revert it back to 
the DEFAULT ...

As to where to redirect ... if that is where everyone wants it to be redirected 
to, that's cool, but I thought Magnus was working on a URL/redirect, just 
hadn't put it into production yet ...

- ----

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 20:02:01 -0400

> instead of via the web form.

I'm using the CLI, not web form ... it just opens up in vi ... actually, hadn't 
even thought of that, I just modified the _config file directly and added the 
space:

                     'message_footer' => [
                                           '-',
                                           '-- ',
                                           'Sent via $LIST mailing list 
([email-masked])',
                                           'To make changes to your 
subscription:',
 
'http://mail.postgresql.org/mj/mj_wwwusr?domain=postgresql.org&extra=$LIST'
                                         ],
See if that does it with this message ..

> hasn't gotten the word it seems.  He requires heavy nudging at times,

Nope, I was watching for a "its ready to use" message ... last I saw was Magnus 
asking if that was what ppl wanted to see, but someone commented about using 
something different then wwwmaster, so thought magnus was still working on it 
...

Magnus?

- ----

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 20:03:43 -0400

> example. Substitute as necessary.

Done, should be visible with this email ... and hopefully the sig change for 
Peter works too ....

- ----

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 21:04:33 -0300

> hadn't put it into production yet ...

It is already working:

http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 20:07:53 -0500

"Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]> writes:
> I just modified the _config file directly and added the 
> space:

> See if that does it with this message ..

Yup, looks good from here.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 21:16:56 -0400

> Yup, looks good from here.

'k ... not that there should be any reason for us to need to modify the footer 
ever again, hopefully, but putting that space in requires a manual edit of the 
file, so if we do have to modify, we'll ahve to remember to do the manual edit 
...

- ----

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 08:35:11 +0100

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> 'k ... not that there should be any reason for us to need to modify the
> footer ever again, hopefully, but putting that space in requires a manual
> edit of the file, so if we do have to modify, we'll ahve to remember to do
> the manual edit ...

Maybe someone wants to report a bug to the majordomo folks.  I am not familiar 
enough with the software myself to write someone accurate.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 22:54:15 -0400

- --On Friday, March 07, 2008 08:35:11 +0100 Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> Maybe someone wants to report a bug to the majordomo folks.  I am not
> familiar  enough with the software myself to write someone accurate.

Would love to, please provide me with the RFC that points out that this is 
broken, and I'll talk to the developers about getting it fixed ...

- ----

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 19:09:21 -0800

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 22:54:15 -0400
"Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Would love to, please provide me with the RFC that points out that
> this is broken, and I'll talk to the developers about getting it
> fixed ...

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3676.txt
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- -- 
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ 
PostgreSQL Community Conference: http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
      PostgreSQL political pundit | Mocker of Dolphins

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 23:18:42 -0400

Thanks, message sent to the developers ..

- --On Friday, March 07, 2008 19:09:21 -0800 "Joshua D. Drake" 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iD8DBQFH0gNjATb/zqfZUUQRAinlAJ9980eVueGxaUmI3qcQdeILTBjfLwCgkpXi
> xVZn2gj4XhGXZGQowxp/6MQ=
> =O5RH
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

- ----