Subject: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 13:54:07 -0800

Devrim,

I've gotten a report that several people were arbitrarily kicked off 
planetpostgresql.org.  Surely if people's RSS feeds are going to be 
cancelled, we'd discuss it on this list?

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:05:33 -0800

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 13:54:07 -0800

> cancelled, we'd discuss it on this list?

Sigh, this is not exactly the best way to start a thread. You know
better Josh.

Not one single person was kicked off Planet. The policy for using
headlines was enforced and Devrim removed the long posts with
notification and request that they recontact him once they fix the
blogs.

I strongly suggest to gather evidence before you start suggesting that
a major contributor is doing any such thing.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- -- 
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ 
PostgreSQL Community Conference: http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
PostgreSQL SPI Liaison |  PostgreSQL political pundit | Mocker of
Dolphins

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 14:06:23 -0800

Hi,

> cancelled, we'd discuss it on this list?

I did not "kick off" . I remove them temporarily, because of the rules.

The rule is simple: 

==============
*If* your posts are very long, please break them into two parts. One
that's included on planetpostgresql.org and a second that's available
after clicking a link. This will keep the layout of planetpostgresql.org
easy and quick for our visitors. See examples on Planet PostgreSQL.
==============

I e-mailed this information to our bloggers on Jan 8. 

..and I informed everyone PLUS planet list (a list hosted
@postgresql.org) so that everyone would be kept up2date. That list
includes at least 3 prominent community members other than me : Magnus,
Robert (Treat) and Jim (Nasby).

As the blogs are "fixed", I'll add them again. This is what I explicitly
wrote in the e-mail that I sent to 3 people today.

I hope this is clear for everyone.

I'm upset that this thread took my half of the day. Also, I'm upset that
you are writing this e-mail to a public list without asking me first.
I'm a few clicks away from you on Jabber.

Regards,
-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: plPHP, ODBCng - http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:09:44 -0800

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:05:33 -0800
"Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I've gotten a report that several people were arbitrarily kicked
> > off planetpostgresql.org.  Surely if people's RSS feeds are going
> > to be cancelled, we'd discuss it on this list?
> > 
> 

Here is my response to LewisC's false accusations:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-03/msg00233.php

I have provided complete transparency to what is happening.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:09:49 -0800

Josh,

> notification and request that they recontact him once they fix the

OK, cool, thanks.  I was a little surprised; it was hard to imagine Devrim 
taking unilateral action.  That's very unlike him.

Is the headline policy up anywhere?  Like on the wiki, for example, so that 
we can point people to it?

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 14:11:38 -0800

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 14:09 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Is the headline policy up anywhere?  Like on the wiki, for example, so
> that  we can point people to it?

Well, I e-mailed this policy to everyone 2 months ago. For example, sent
the same e-mail to Gregory (Stark) a few hours ago, just after adding
him to planet. 

You are right, it is not written anywhere publicly. I will give it a
priority this weekend and post the link to the right hand side of Planet
PostgreSQL.

-HTH.

Regards,

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:14:18 -0800

Devrim,

> I'm a few clicks away from you on Jabber.

I'm sorry, I phrased it badly. What I meant was "Surely you wouldn't kick 
people off planetpostgresql.org arbitrarily, so what's really going on?"  
I realize now that the e-mail came out sounding like an accusation.  
Apologies.

Can we put that policy up somewhere findable on postgresql.org, so that if 
this happens again in the future we can just point the disgruntled blogger 
to the policy?

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:16:14 -0800

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:09:49 -0800
Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> OK, cool, thanks.  I was a little surprised; it was hard to imagine
> Devrim taking unilateral action.  That's very unlike him.
> 
> Is the headline policy up anywhere?  Like on the wiki, for example,
> so that we can point people to it?

Not that I know of, but Devrim did include it in his email to Lewis
(and the others). I also mentioned to Lewis that there could probably
be better advertisement of that policy.

I am not sure why Lewis is in such an uproar here (see my link).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 23:30:06 +0100

> priority this weekend and post the link to the right hand side of Planet

That's a very good idea. It'll make the life easier for those of us that 
  field questions about it now and then (apart from this specific issue)

//Magnus

---

From: "Merlin Moncure" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:04:19 -0500

>  I did not "kick off" . I remove them temporarily, because of the rules.

I have a small question about this.  I have a small blog that is
carried by planet but hosted on blogger...AFAIK, there is no way to
break up the post there.  Should I be looking for a new place to blog?
(I can't stand serendipity).

merlin

---

From: Guillaume Smet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 14:32:09 +0100

> (I can't stand serendipity).

I don't know planet software at all but isn't it possible to make it 
shorten the entries coming from external blogs to an acceptable 
introduction?

--
Guillaume

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:18:56 -0800

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 08:04:19 -0500

> (I can't stand serendipity).

You set your feed to short under feed settings.

Joshua D. Drake

- -- 
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ 
PostgreSQL Community Conference: http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
      PostgreSQL political pundit | Mocker of Dolphins

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 15:54:06 -0800

Hi Guillaume,

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 14:32 +0100, Guillaume Smet wrote:
> I don't know planet software at all 

http://planetplanet.org

Cheers,

---

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:22:57 +0100

Hello,

> > I don't know planet software at all 

I miss planetpostgresql.org in the list of powered platforms.

Bye

-- 
				Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group
European PostgreSQL User Group - Board of Directors

---

From: "Merlin Moncure" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:35:55 -0500

>  You set your feed to short under feed settings.

set...thanks for that.

merlin

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:40:49 -0700

Hi,

> I miss planetpostgresql.org in the list of powered platforms.

I e-mailed them lots of times, but they are ignored. Well, I'm afraid
they are updating website :)

Regards,