Subject: archives.pg.org font changes

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:05:20 -0300

Hi,

I've been trying to enable the archives pages to pass the HTML
validation as requested by Magnus and Stefan.  In doing so I've made
quite a few changes to the HTML code and programs, and some intermediate
results have been, to put it mildly, less than ideal :-)

They should be a bit better now.  Please have a look around and let me
know your opinions.  Keep in mind that I'm looking for comments on font
sizes, font faces, etc.  One particular very visible change is that the
mail bodies are all in monotype face.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:13:39 +0000

>  mail bodies are all in monotype face.

The mail bodies are more or less unreadable in Firefox on my Mac - I
need to increase the font size setting in the browser a notch for it
to become readable, and 2 for it to actually look nice (by which time
of course, everything else is huge).

The link text used in the indexes to select messages is in bold which
makes it look a little odd.

Other than those two issues, it looks like a much needed improvement - thanks!

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL UK 2008 Conference: http://www.postgresql.org.uk

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:23:28 -0400

> of course, everything else is huge).

Nearly unreadable in Safari too --- the body text is several sizes
smaller than all the decoration around it (eg the lefthand menu).

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:42:03 -0300

> smaller than all the decoration around it (eg the lefthand menu).

Okay, please have a look at 
http://developer.postgresql.org/~alvherre/msg00001.html
and let me know if it's big enough.

---

From: Raymond O'Donnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:51:49 +0000

> and let me know if it's big enough.

Firefox 2.0.0.12 on WinXP: looks good generally, with the only 
exceptions that "Search for" and "Advanced search" in the search box are 
tiny and virtually unreadable.

Internet Explorer 7 on WinXP: Most text is marginally bigger, but looks 
fine. "Search for" and "Advanced search" are now fine also; but the 
monospaced text in the message body is a bit too big, with the result 
that lines are wrapping.

I can email screen shots if that'd be any help.

Ray.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Raymond O'Donnell, Director of Music, Galway Cathedral, Ireland
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Oleg Bartunov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:20:25 +0300 (MSK)

btw, can we have css for printing ? It should be not very difficult,
see how I did this http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/wiki/FTS_Notes
Try 'Print preview' in browser (firefox)

Oleg

> and let me know if it's big enough.

 	Regards,
 		Oleg
_____________________________________________________________
Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
Internet: [email-masked], http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:27:12 -0400

> and let me know if it's big enough.

This looks good to me.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Oleg Bartunov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:29:34 +0300 (MSK)

btw,

http://browsershots.org  is a nice tool for such kind of tasks

Oleg

 	Regards,
 		Oleg

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:30:04 -0700

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:27:12 -0400

> > and let me know if it's big enough.

+1, looks good even on my high resolution 1600+

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- -- 
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ 
PostgreSQL Community Conference: http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
      PostgreSQL political pundit | Mocker of Dolphins

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:47:53 +0000

>  > and let me know if it's big enough.

And me.

---

From: Kevin Hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:33:29 -0400

At 3:47 -0400 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Dave Page wrote:
>>>> Nearly unreadable in Safari too --- the body text is several
>>>> sizes smaller than all the decoration around it (eg the
>>>> lefthand menu).
>>

Thank you! Thank you!  Font size has long been a pet peeve of mine
about the postgresql.org website.

While you're at it, wanna bump the font size for the rest of
postgresql.org too?  I can read it, but I generally always make use of
font enlargement.  (20/20 vision. :-P )  On WinXP (Firefox & IE6.0),
Ubuntu (Firefox), Kubuntu (Konquerer) all look . . . too small to my
eye.

Kevin

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:02:16 -0300

> Ubuntu (Firefox), Kubuntu (Konquerer) all look . . . too small to my

Yeah, personally I find the current main site to have too small a font
across the board.  This is not something I can change though; I'm only
in charge of the archives :-)

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:06:54 -0300

> makes it look a little odd.

OK I changed that as well -- please have a look.  I also removed the
bold markers from the message headings:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2008-03/msg00003.php

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:07:53 -0300

> http://browsershots.org  is a nice tool for such kind of tasks

Hmm, that's a handy tip, thanks.  Pity that it expires the pages so
early though :-)

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:18:24 -0400

> and let me know if it's big enough.

Ok for me.  Mac OS 10.5 with Firefox.

A

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:23:34 +0000

>  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2008-03/msg00003.php

Yup - that looks good. We should probably do the same for the messge
links on the messages themselves. Not so sure about the index links.

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:27:24 +0000

>  links on the messages themselves. Not so sure about the index links.

Oh, just noticed the text in the search box at the top is microscopic.