Subject: Re: [ADMIN] 8.2.4 patches? (fwd)

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:52:39 -0400 (EDT)

Seems we should have a web site that shows our CVS logs in an
easily-readable form.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Forwarded message from Tom Lane -----

Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]> writes:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Hmm, do we include the cvs2cl-generated ChangeLog in the tarballs?

> No, we don't.  We used to but the file got too large.  Perhaps we should
> supply a URL that generates that information.

There are a couple of different queries that people would be interested
in:

* the full cvs2cl log between any two release points;
* the cvs2cl log from latest release to branch tip.

I do not think it's appropriate to stick this into the tarballs, as
there's an awful lot of noise in the logs (eg, docs tweaks, reverted
patches, trivial code cleanups); our practice of generating a condensed
release-notes page is a large public service in my eyes.  But +1 to
providing a web page from which the detailed answers could be generated
easily.

BTW, cvs2cl (at least the version I use) works fine against a remote
repository, so it's not like Ray couldn't have gotten the answer for
himself.  But a web page would be more user-friendly.

			regards, tom lane
----- End of forwarded message from Tom Lane -----

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:07:14 +0000

>  Seems we should have a web site that shows our CVS logs in an

That would be a heck of a lot easier with an SCM that has a concept
like changesets...

*ducks*

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL UK 2008 Conference: http://www.postgresql.org.uk

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:13:25 -0400 (EDT)

> That would be a heck of a lot easier with an SCM that has a concept

Running cvs log throught src/tools/pgcvslog seems to work fine for me.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:05:44 -0300

> Running cvs log throught src/tools/pgcvslog seems to work fine for me.

Should we include this as a bz2 file stored in the release / source directory? 
I agree it shouldn't be in the tarball itself, but having it along side of it 
would be okay ...

- ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:18:26 -0400 (EDT)

> I agree it shouldn't be in the tarball itself, but having it along side of it 

I would like to see it in HTML on a web site --- colorization is bonus
points.  ;-)