Subject: Why do we have two mailing list, lists?

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:00:37 -0700

Hello,

I was looking at this:

http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists
and
http://archives.postgresql.org/

We know about the long standing problem of the two never being in sync
so I think I have a solution.

 * Point the front page of http://archives.postgresql.org/ to
http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists
 * Update community/lists to have the the same mailing list information
as archives in the menu:
  # Mailing Lists

    * Subscribe
    * User lists
    * Developer lists
    * Regional lists
    * Project lists
    * User groups
    * Inactive lists

 * Add search box to community/lists

 * Use community/lists as the definitive source for all lists. The
links on the page already go to archives anyway.

Joshua D. Drake

- -- 
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ 
PostgreSQL Community Conference: http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
      PostgreSQL political pundit | Mocker of Dolphins

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:05:53 -0300

> http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists

Now that we have archives.pg.org under the control of the www team this
is easily doable.  Should we install a redirect on
archives.pg.org/index.html?

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:10:19 -0700

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:05:53 -0300
Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> 
> > We know about the long standing problem of the two never being in
> > sync so I think I have a solution.
> > 
> Now that we have archives.pg.org under the control of the www team
> this is easily doable.  Should we install a redirect on

I would need to update community/lists but yeah that is what I would
envision would happen.

Joshua D. Drake 

- --

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:30:32 -0300

> Now that we have archives.pg.org under the control of the www team

What *are* you talking about?  Dave Page has been doing all the modifications 
to archives for *months* now ... anyone on WWW was more then welcome to ask for 
it, only Dave ever did ... *Shrug*

- -- 
Marc G. Fournier        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A. (http://www.hub.org)
Email . [email-masked]                              MSN . [email-masked]
Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:31:46 -0300

> it, only Dave ever did ... *Shrug*

Well, the only reason I am on the www team at all is the recent work on
the archives.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:54:16 -0300

- --On Tuesday, March 18, 2008 23:31:46 -0300 Alvaro Herrera 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> What *are* you talking about?  Dave Page has been doing all the
>> modifications  to archives for *months* now ... anyone on WWW was more then
>> welcome to ask for  it, only Dave ever did ... *Shrug*
>

Just because you happen to now be working on them, doesn't mean that they 
weren't under the control of the www team ... the layout that was there before 
merging svr5 into archives was done *by* the www team, directly ... no patches 
through me or anything ...

- --

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:29:32 -0300

> through me or anything ...

I'm not sure why you act like I'm attacking you.  I'm just saying that
if somebody wants to do any change on the archives.pg.org page, I can do
it easily (but of course a consensus needs to be reached first.)

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.