Subject: Updated SummerofCode.html

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:32:17 -0700

Folks,

Please apply.  Thanks.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:32:26 -0700

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:32:17 -0700

> Please apply.  Thanks.

ughhh....

- -- 
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ 
PostgreSQL Community Conference: http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
United States PostgreSQL Association: http://www.postgresql.us/
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:40:27 -0700

> Please apply.  Thanks.

Applied... but what is up with the @t stuff?

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:01:53 -0700

Hi,

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 12:32 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Please apply

I'm confused. This is the version that reverts the changes that I made
today, per the page you sent me.

Regards,
-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: plPHP, ODBCng - http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:27:55 -0700

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:01:53 -0700

> today, per the page you sent me.

Wonderful.

I wonder if the request got greylisted or something and I applied an
older version.

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:47:29 +0000

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 3:27 AM, Joshua D. Drake <[email-masked]> wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>  Hash: SHA1
>
>

Next time we only apply patches. There's no sensible way to compare
old and new versions before committing otherwise.

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL UK 2008 Conference: http://www.postgresql.org.uk

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:45:42 -0700

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:47:29 +0000
"Dave Page" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >  I wonder if the request got greylisted or something and I applied
> > an older version.
> 
> 

+1 for that. I would also ask that for people who are not committers,
they must submit the patch to -www not to any one person directly. 

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:56:00 -0700

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 08:45 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I would also ask that for people who are not committers,

Josh sent me the patch directly, since it did not arrive -www on time
for some reason.
-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: plPHP, ODBCng - http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:00:41 -0700

Devrim,

> today, per the page you sent me.

Right.  Check the headers; for some reason, that e-mail got held for 12 hours 
at PostgreSQL.org.  Ignore it, please!

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:01:19 -0700

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:56:00 -0700

> Josh sent me the patch directly, since it did not arrive -www on time

Right :) that is what I am trying to avoid. The greylist queue probably
flushed or something. The summerofcode.html is certainly not an
emergency patch. We should have waited (not blaming you) just saying.

So if we enforce the, it must go to -www, the problem goes away. Yes,
we may have to wait a while to get a patch applied but so what? Being
patient isn't a bad thing.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:02:17 -0700

All,

> Josh sent me the patch directly, since it did not arrive -www on time

Correct ... the original update e-mail was held for ~~12 hours instead of 
being distributed to -www.  I had no particular belief it was ever going to 
be delivered.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 17:23:34 +0100

> at PostgreSQL.org.  Ignore it, please!

That's the "classic". It was either held for moderator approval, or it 
was held in the maia blackhole.

//Magnus

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:39:34 -0700

Josh,

> patient isn't a bad thing.

So what's the timeout for e-mails which never go through at all?  12 
hours?  24?  36?

--Josh

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:12:25 -0700

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:39:34 -0700
Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Josh,
> 
> > So if we enforce the, it must go to -www, the problem goes away.
> > Yes, we may have to wait a while to get a patch applied but so
> > what? Being patient isn't a bad thing.
> 

Timeout for which before resend? Or before we start yelling about
emails not getting through?

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:13:33 -0700

Josh,

> emails not getting through?

Timeout before we give up on -www and send stuff directly to web 
committers.  I'm willing to wait some hours, but delaying an update for 
3 days while I harass Marc about checking the mail queues isn't reasonable.

Or maybe we can use a more reliable transport than -www.  Doesn't Trac 
have an issue tracker?  Someplace we can upload stuff?

--Josh Berkus

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:40:16 -0700

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:13:33 -0700
Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> committers.  I'm willing to wait some hours, but delaying an update
> for 3 days while I harass Marc about checking the mail queues isn't
> reasonable.

I think what is even more reasonable that that, is ensuring that a
whitelist is created for certain people. You, I, Dave Page etc.. should
never have to go through any filtering mechanisms.

> 
> Or maybe we can use a more reliable transport than -www.  Doesn't
> Trac have an issue tracker?  Someplace we can upload stuff?
> 

Yes in fact it does. 

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:35:07 +0100

> never have to go through any filtering mechanisms.

The problem in the past week (or whatever it is) isn't due to 
graylisting. It's due to the mailserver not accepting email.

>> Trac have an issue tracker?  Someplace we can upload stuff?

But the emails notifying people of new tickets is still on the same 
listserver, no?

//Magnus

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:48:28 -0700

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:35:07 +0100

> But the emails notifying people of new tickets is still on the same 

I have to check but... I think all of this is moot now that I think
about it. First to be fair to Marc, I can remember the last time
anything took 3 days to fix. Secondly, if it is taking 3 days the whole
world is screaming and we have more important and potentially dangerous
things going on that are not a web site update.

IMO this is very simple:

 * Unless you are a committer you must submit via -www, all committers
must honor this. (don't accept a patch privately) So we don't have these
communication issues in the future.

 * If there is a problem where email is not coming through, start
talking to people. The primary sysadmins are on jabber.postgresql.org,
several can be found on #postgresql at any given time in the day, we
have phone numbers on pmt.postgresql.org, there is
[email-masked] and if it comes down to it, just start
emailing directly that there appears to be a clog up somewhere.

This idea that somehow we would just wait 36 hours for someone to
notice is kind of silly. There are those of us who live on these lists.
We notice the moment something bogs down.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
- --

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:52:33 -0700

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:48:28 -0700
> about it. First to be fair to Marc, I can remember the last time
                                        can't

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:34:44 -0700

Josh,

> > Trac have an issue tracker?  Someplace we can upload stuff?

Can we set the issue tracker to ping this list?  Or Slaves?  I'd think that 
would do it ...

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:34:22 -0700

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:34:44 -0700
Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Can we set the issue tracker to ping this list?  Or Slaves?  I'd
> think that would do it ...
> 

If currently pings to... hmmm well there are two, there is pmt and
pgweb. PMT pings to sysadmins, I don't know where pgweb goes.

Dave, Magnus... should we have pgweb ping to this list?

Joshua D. Drake

- --

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:03:47 +0000

>  Dave, Magnus... should we have pgweb ping to this list?

I'm currently thinking that we should just move sysadmins and slaves
(maybe change to webteam?) to a server that is completely independent
of any of the infrastructure that we're managing through them.
Probably we should move Nagios there as well, as it's currently on the
same box as a few other things.

As for what goes where, pmt -> sysadmins, pgweb -> slaves, and lets
move the alerts to a seperate list.

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:48:50 -0400

> old and new versions before committing otherwise.

co newfile file
svn diff file
?

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:51:51 +0000

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Robert Treat
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>  > On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 3:27 AM, Joshua D. Drake <[email-masked]>

>  > old and new versions before committing otherwise.

I'll suggest that next time someone complains on -patches that a patch
isn't in context diff format :-p

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:37:42 -0400

> isn't in context diff format :-p

-patches is based on cvs :-P