Subject: CVS rsync service is dropping some files

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:21:04 +0200

The CVS rsync service, as described at 
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/rsync.html>, fails to provide the 
directories pgsql/src/interfaces/jdbc/org/postgresql/core/ and 
pgsql/contrib/retep/uk/org/retep/xml/core/.  I guess there is an exclude list 
somewhere that thinks these might be core dump files.  Could this please be 
investigated and fixed?

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:05:16 +0200

> somewhere that thinks these might be core dump files.  Could this please be 

*sigh* - took me a while to recognize that it's actually the commandline 
in the docs(anoncvs config is fine) that are resulting in that problem - 
we recommend -C as an rsync parameter and the docs for that state:

  -C, --cvs-exclude
               This  is a useful shorthand for excluding a broad range 
of files
               that you often don't want to transfer between systems. 
It  uses
               the  same  algorithm that CVS uses to determine if a file 
should
               be ignored.

               The exclude list is initialized to:

                      RCS  SCCS  CVS  CVS.adm   RCSLOG   cvslog.*   tags 
   TAGS
                      .make.state  .nse_depinfo *~ #* .#* ,* _$* *$ 
*.old *.bak
                      *.BAK *.orig *.rej .del-* *.a *.olb *.o *.obj *.so 
  *.exe
                      *.Z *.elc *.ln core .svn/

so this is actually a documentation bug - not an infrastructure bug :-)

Stefan