Subject: Mailing list lists

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:39:04 +0100

We seem to have at least 2 lists of mailing lists, which are out of sync:

http://archives.postgresql.org/
http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/

Should we just redirect the latter to the former?

The archives list looks a little out of date as well - there only seem
to be 3 pugs listed for example. Can someone fix that please?

Thanks.

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 06:28:27 -0700

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:39:04 +0100

> to be 3 pugs listed for example. Can someone fix that please?

This is actually an open thread dave :P. I brought this up before EAST.
My thought was to modify the main .Org site to be the authoritative
reference and have the front page of archives point there.

J

- -- 
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ 
PostgreSQL Community Conference: http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
United States PostgreSQL Association: http://www.postgresql.us/
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 15:30:02 +0200

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> > The archives list looks a little out of date as well - there only
> > seem to be 3 pugs listed for example. Can someone fix that please?
> > 
> > Thanks.
> > 
> 
> This is actually an open thread dave :P. I brought this up before
> EAST. My thought was to modify the main .Org site to be the
> authoritative reference and have the front page of archives point
> there.

I believe that is the current idea, yes. AFAIK, it's currently sitting
on Alvaros table.... :-P 

The data is in a database these days. Alvaro was going to modify the
archives pages to pull it's data from the database, and to somehow warn
us if it goes out of sync with majordomo wrt which lists exists (since
it can also see the raw majordomo data).

//Magnus

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 14:38:39 +0100

>  This is actually an open thread dave :P. I brought this up before EAST.

Oh, sorry - it's been a busy couple of weeks.

>  reference and have the front page of archives point there.

I think it makes more sense to have it all on archives - the most
authoritative source of sanitized info we have for the public lists is
the archives themselves. It would be relatively easy to have the list
autogenerated form the filesystem, and store some descriptive text and
a category name for each list there as well. New lists could appear
automagically but go into an 'uncategorised' section with no
description until someone remembers to add it.

I'd prefer it to all be in a database, but I feel that unless the main
index, list intro pages and subscription pages are all managed that
way it'll just add complexity to no great benefit.

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 08:37:30 -0700

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 14:38:39 +0100
"Dave Page" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > EAST.
 
> way it'll just add complexity to no great benefit.

Well first let's clearly define the problems associated. I see a couple
of things:

1. The following two pages are always out of sync.
  * http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/
  * http://archives.postgresql.org

2. The two pages listed above are managed separately in terms of the
content resource. Archives is a html where WWW is databased.

I have two solutions:

1. We figure out a way to make WWW the front end portal. We can
just use a redirect from archives if the url is / . There are benefits
to this:

 * We have the subscribe form and other resources immediately available.
 * community/lists is already just a link point to archives so we don't
need the archives front page.
 * We have a central place to manage all lists without worry of being
out of sync

2. We leave things as is but change the method of keeping the two in
sync.

 * Use a cron job on wwwmaster that will write out an xml file of
current lists at the same time the mirror script updates. That xml file
should be made available via rsync.

 * Have archives pull the xml file every -n- minutes that file is then
parsed as part of the main index load on archives.postgresql.org

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --