Subject: Who's approving Events?

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:17:39 -0700

Folks,

I was just approving Selena's event posting, and noticed that we have a 
bunch of events which have not been reviewed since before I went on 
vacation -- including a talk by Bruce which came and went without the 
Event listing ever getting approved!  Then I noticed that I've stopped 
getting "slaves" notifications.

What's going on?

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Guido Barosio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:54:55 -0700

I can be of help if moderation requires some human effort.

(not saying that I am a human being, but I try to)

gb.-

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  Sent via pgsql-www mailing list ([email-masked])
>  To make changes to your subscription:
>  http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www
>

-- 
Guido Barosio
-----------------------
http://www.globant.com
[email-masked]

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:36:15 +0200

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
> 
> I was just approving Selena's event posting, and noticed that we have
> a bunch of events which have not been reviewed since before I went on 
> Event listing ever getting approved!  Then I noticed that I've
> stopped getting "slaves" notifications.
> 
> What's going on?

I think several people who used to do approvals have more or less
stopped. An in the past couple of weeks both me and Dave have been very
busy, and thus not approving as much. It's on my list to refresh the
list of people that are actually registered as slaves, and add some
more if needed. With the mail from Guido, I've had at least two people
volunteering to do it if we can decide how many we need.

As for you not getting slaves notifications - perhaps you got booted
off the list at the same time you did from a couple of other lists?
Because I certainly receive the notifications (though they tend to
drown in the nagios notifications these days - need to fix that)

//Magnus

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:58:53 +0100

> getting "slaves" notifications.

In a nutshell, most of the people on -slaves don't moderate any more.
I've broought this up before but got a less than enthusiastic response
- we need people to take ownership of each specific area and ensure
that moderation happens, or that in their absence someone takes over.
I look after the mirrors in that way already and it works well, but
I'm not prepared to take on all areas myself.

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:00:25 +0100

> I can be of help if moderation requires some human effort.

Cool - want to take ownership of one (or more) particular areas? We
have doc comments, events, news and professional services as the ones
that really need someone taking responsibility.

> (not saying that I am a human being, but I try to)

I couldn't possibly comment on that :-p

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 08:53:15 -0400

> I'm not prepared to take on all areas myself.

The main reason I don't do it as much anymore is that I keep getting 
unsubscribed from -slaves, I think due to sourcforge sending back too many 
messages as spam/bounces. If there was some way to force majordomo to never 
unsubecribe me from such a list, I think it would help (note I'm guessing 
that may have been Josh's problem above).  Short of that, things might get 
better once we stop directing nagios to -slaves. 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Guido Barosio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 06:55:57 -0700

Dave, great.

      What about news and professional services?

gb.-

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:05:27 +0100

>      What about news and professional services?

Sure - thanks :-). You'll need to subscribe to the slaves list:

[email-masked]

I'll setup access to the admin interface for you.

News approval is subject to the policy at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval. Professional
Services are approved if you can tell from the companies website that
they provide PG services. If they don't mention PG, they don't get
approved.

If you're not sure, ask in the slaves list (it's usually best to ask
prior to rejecting anything outright anyway).

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:49:48 +0100

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Joshua D. Drake <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I have never had access to moderate and would be happy to do so.
> Regardless of that, we need a documented list of who the moderators
> are, and what they are responsible for moderating. (this includes
> mailing lists).

Can I persuade you to take ownership of events and doc comments?

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:50:49 -0700

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:58:53 +0100

Joshua D. Drake

-- 
The PostgreSQL Company since 1997: http://www.commandprompt.com/ 
PostgreSQL Community Conference: http://www.postgresqlconference.org/
United States PostgreSQL Association: http://www.postgresql.us/
Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:56:04 -0700

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:49:48 +0100

> Can I persuade you to take ownership of events and doc comments?

Sure I can do that.

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 11:40:44 -0700

All,

Also, why am I not receiving moderation notices on -slaves?  Am I still on 
-slaves?  I *joined* that list to moderate.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:41:05 -0400

> are, and what they are responsible for moderating. (this includes

If we're looking for more mailing list moderators, make sure we get at
least one extra for -general.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 19:54:40 +0100

>  -slaves?  I *joined* that list to moderate.

Current subscribers are me, David, Greg, Devrim, Stefan, Gavin, Magnus
and Decibel.

Please re-subscribe (and you too JD) and I'll approve..

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 20:24:50 +0100

>  > Can I persuade you to take ownership of events and doc comments?

Cool;

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/admin

User: jd

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 20:30:55 +0100

>  drown in the nagios notifications these days - need to fix that)

OK, we now have the following people owning items (once -slaves
subscriptions go through):

JD: Events, doc comments
Guido: News, professional services
Me: Mirrors

Each of us are responsible for managing all items in our areas. In the
event of holidays etc. it is up to each owner to let the rest of
-slaves know so someone else can take over.

Thanks to Guido and JD for stepping up to the plate.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:34:22 -0700

Dave,

> Guido: News, professional services

I'm happy to help with news and events.

-- 
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

---

From: "Guido Barosio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 10:39:00 -0300

x-posting re mailing lists:

Is it me or mail moderation has increased in terms of workload?

gb.-

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:19:02 +0300

Hi,

I was on vacation/afk for the last 2 weeks. I'm back now, and will
continue approving/deleting (;) ) news/events/comments, etc.

Regards, D.

-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: plPHP, ODBCng - http://www.commandprompt.com/

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:10:36 +0100

>  I'm happy to help with news and events.

Well we have owners for everything, so if you can provide backup I
think that'll be cool for now.

Thanks.

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 10:19:01 +0200

> think that'll be cool for now.

We certainly need backups on all posts. Just because we have an owner
doesn't let the rest of us off the hook ;-)

//Magnus