Subject: Roadmap web page

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:33:32 -0400 (EDT)

Do we need to update the URLs on the roadmap page to point to the wiki
instead?

	http://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:10:10 +0200

> 	http://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap

what urls and what wording would you think is appropriate - we could 
either link to 
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_8.4_Development_Plan or 
include that exact information on the website - or what else do you have 
in mind ?

Stefan

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 13:31:06 -0400 (EDT)

> include that exact information on the website - or what else do you have 

I would like us to use consistent URLs based on ISO dates rather than
month names, and have a fixed URL that points to the most recent
commit-fest, and then link to that from the web site.

---

From: "Brendan Jurd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 04:25:44 +1000

> commit-fest, and then link to that from the web site.

We currently do have a fixed URL that points to the most recent commit-fest:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest

Cheers,
BJ

---

From: Greg Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 14:32:57 -0400 (EDT)

> commit-fest, and then link to that from the web site.

So basically what you want here is for CommitFest:July to become 
CommitFest:2008-07?  That's pretty reasonable and some ideas in this area 
were already tossed around.

There's already a http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest redirect that 
is being kept current.

I still think the developer/roadmap page should include a link to a 
higher-level view than the CommitFest level.  Linking to specific versions 
is a maintenance headache to be avoided though; a link to 
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information would be 
sufficient I think, that's a highly visible page that should always be 
kept up to date.

--
* Greg Smith [email-masked] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:55:33 -0400 (EDT)

> were already tossed around.

Yes.

> There's already a http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest redirect that 

Good.

> sufficient I think, that's a highly visible page that should always be 

Agreed.  I was thinking of using the ISO date because it makes sorting
pages in order easier and clearer.

---

From: Greg Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 00:39:52 -0400 (EDT)

>> were already tossed around.

Done.  All the existing pages were renamed, which automatically made 
redirects from the old URLs if anybody had direct ones floating around.

I also did some manual fixes to more prominent pages like 
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information , as well as 
moving archived info out of there and switching to using the redirect. 
There shouldn't be a need to edit that entry page at each CommitFest 
anymore.

The main place that shows an immediate improvement from the month renaming 
is http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:CommitFest which will now stay 
sorted usefully moving forward.

I think that does it for changes/info you wanted to support updating the 
roadmap page.

---

From: "Brendan Jurd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:52:35 +1000

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Greg Smith <[email-masked]> wrote:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information , as well as moving
> archived info out of there and switching to using the redirect. There
> shouldn't be a need to edit that entry page at each CommitFest anymore.

Nice.  I've followed this up with some minor updates to
CommitFest:Help and Template:CommitFestBlank which explain the naming
convention.

Cheers,
BJ

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:04:08 +0200

> redirects from the old URLs if anybody had direct ones floating around.

Might have been a good opportunity to remove the colons from the names, as 
previously discussed.