Subject: GIT repo broken

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:37:35 -0400

Hi,

I noticed the other day that the branches in the GIT postgresql.git
repository do not contain any patch after it was released.  For example,
in

http://git.postgresql.org/?p=postgresql.git;a=shortlog;h=REL8_3_STABLE

the last commit is on 2008-02-12.  For example this commit is not there:
http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/nls-global.mk?rev=1.14

What's going on here?

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:03:15 -0000

> repository do not contain any patch after it was released.

The cvs->git import script doesn't handle branches yet: this is a known problem,
just wanted to reply here so there it is on record. No idea of when it might
be fixed: I looked it over, but I need stronger git/ruby skills and/or more
free time to figure it all out.

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200806301002
http://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=2529DF6AB8F79407E94445B4BC9B906714964AC8

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:11:12 -0400

> free time to figure it all out.

Huh, this seems to make the repo a non-starter for any serious work.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:57:58 -0400

On Monday 30 June 2008 10:03:15 Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> The cvs->git import script doesn't handle branches yet: this is a known
> problem, just wanted to reply here so there it is on record. No idea of
> when it might be fixed: I looked it over, but I need stronger git/ruby
> skills and/or more free time to figure it all out.
>

I'm not entirely sure that is true though it certainly looks that way from 
initial start.  I've been messing around with the ppa repo on some other git 
providers and I have repos that seem to have all of my branches... need to do 
a bit more legwork to determine if it is all actually working though.

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 01:08:26 -0400

On Monday 30 June 2008 11:57:58 Robert Treat wrote:
> initial start.  I've been messing around with the ppa repo on some other
> git providers and I have repos that seem to have all of my branches... need
> to do a bit more legwork to determine if it is all actually working though.
>

Just to follow up, I have managed to get all of the branches / tags from the 
PPA tree into a git repo.  Now, this used my local git tools and tools of a 
git hosting service, so it is possible it wont work with the postgresql.org 
tools, but I think all the versions are the same, so hopefully it should. 
Still no sudo for me, so poke me on irc and we can do some testing.

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 14:18:28 +0200

> skills and/or more free time to figure it all out.

I think the tool does handle branches, it just broke somewhere along the way 
and now it doesn't continue.  It has been suspected that this happens when 
the git-cvs update happens while an rsync of the CVS repository is in 
progress, owing to the nonatomic nature of CVS.

We should probably rebuild the Git repository sometime, but everytime you do 
that all the commit IDs change, and I haven't had the enthusiasm yet to give 
users a proper recipe for dealing with that, e.g., pulling and merging or 
rebasing to adjust existing clones to the upstream.  If someone has an idea 
how to deal with the latter, I'd appreciate that.