Subject: Problem with archives search

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:54:19 -0400 (EDT)

Why is this email not showing up in archives search?

	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00415.php

I tried searching for its subject "Identifier case folding notes" using:

	http://search.postgresql.org/search?m=1&q=Identifier+case+folding+notes&l=&d=&s=

but it didn't show the email.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:02:05 -0400

> 	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00415.php

I think the search archiving is dead because of an encoding problem in
an email on the Russian list.  However, the one to fix it is out in the
sea somewhere.

At least, that was how it was last week.  I'm not sure if anything
has happened since.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:23:50 -0400

> 	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg00415.php

BTW if you already have the email you're looking for, why do you waste
time with search?  It is easier to grab it by Message-Id.

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:41:08 -0400 (EDT)

> time with search?  It is easier to grab it by Message-Id.

OK, please remind me how to grab it by message id.  Also, I want the
regular URL rather than the message id URL for the TODO list (because
the regular URL has a month stamp) so it is easier to just search it.

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:49:51 -0400

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, please remind me how to grab it by message id.

archives.postgresql.org/message-id/<message-id>

> Also, I want the regular URL rather than the message id URL for the
> TODO list (because the regular URL has a month stamp) so it is easier
> to just search it.

Hmm, that seems a rather pointless requirement, but if you want that,
you can go to the "thread index" from the message links at the bottom,
and then reopen the message from there.  That'll get you the other URL.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:12:19 -0400 (EDT)

> archives.postgresql.org/message-id/<message-id>

Is this documented anywhere?

> and then reopen the message from there.  That'll get you the other URL.

Yea, that's what I have done in the past.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:16:32 -0400

> archives.postgresql.org/message-id/<message-id>

[ I fear I'm exposing my lack of HTML-fu here ]

I'd like to be able to paste a message ID into a form on my home page
and end up at the correct URL, but the only way I know to do that
involves <form method="get"> which insists on sticking "?fieldname="
in there somewhere.  Is there another simple way, or do we have an
alternate portal that handles URLs of that format?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:25:25 +0100

'scuse the top post.

Afaik it should be indexing. I bypassed the first few messages when
the problem first arose, and talked jd through the same fix the next
day. Nagios hasn't complained since to my knowledge.

/d

On 7/14/08, Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Sent via pgsql-www mailing list ([email-masked])
> To make changes to your subscription:
> http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www
>

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:34:21 -0400

> alternate portal that handles URLs of that format?

Hmm, I'm not very much versed in HTML either.

What I did was create a "smart bookmark" in my browser that allows me to
paste the message-id and then select "Pgsql Message by ID" from a
dropdown list of actions (other actions being search in Google,
search.postgresql.org, Merriam-Webster, etc).  Would that work for you?

Another way could be to create a small program that takes
http://sss.pgh.pa.us/foo?message-id=[email-masked] and redirects to
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/[email-masked]

Maybe there are better ways.

---

From: Kevin Hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:20:33 -0400

> alternate portal that handles URLs of that format?

Yeah, all variables in an HTML form are put after a ? in a GET request.
 You'll either have to write yourself something server side, or get some
Javascript to do it for you.

[... time passes ...]

It ain't pretty and it ain't cross-browser compatible, but it was quick.
 Tested in Ubuntu, FF3.  I tried to annotate it so you can personalize
it, whatevs.

Enjoy,

Kevin
Go to Message

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:17:04 +0200

> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/[email-masked]

Or you put an analogous redirect onto the web server for archives.p.o.

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 23:15:57 -0400

> alternate portal that handles URLs of that format?

BTW I neglected to followup on this when I added the message-id search
capability on archives.  You can now use this URL:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-by-id.php?q=SOME-MESSAGE-ID

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 23:38:47 -0400

> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-by-id.php?q=SOME-MESSAGE-ID

Works nicely, thanks!

			regards, tom lane