Subject: Bad news approval

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:21:29 -0700

WWW Team,

DreamCoder for PostgreSQL version 2 beta released
	
This news item should not have been approved; it's a beta release of a 
commercial product.  Our policy says we only approve major releases and 
beginning of PG support for commercial products, and not more often than 
once every 6 months.

Just trying to fine-tune this by getting everyone on the same approval 
policy.

--Josh

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 00:29:26 -0400

> Just trying to fine-tune this by getting everyone on the same approval

That was my bad. For some reason I thought we had an exception for products 
that are introducing PostgreSQL support into thier products. I guess that 
isn't the case?

-- 
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net
Consulting: http://www.omniti.com

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:02:49 -0700

> that are introducing PostgreSQL support into thier products. I guess that 

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval

Joshua D. Drake

-- 
PostgreSQL - XMPP: [email-masked]
   Consulting, Development, Support, Training
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:03:31 -0700

Robert,

> that are introducing PostgreSQL support into thier products. I guess that

Yeah, but not betas.  Look at it this way; if we're only allowing them one 
announcement per 6 months, then their final release will get no announcement.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL
San Francisco

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:29:03 -0400

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 12:03:31 Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > That was my bad. For some reason I thought we had an exception for
> > products that are introducing PostgreSQL support into thier products. I
> > guess that isn't the case?
>

Well, this assumes the final release is within 6 months of the beta 
announcement, which is probably true, though GMail is still in beta. I guess 
assuming a priori knowledge of the product release cycle should be done in 
favor of increasing the beta pool to help ensure solid support upon release. 
Thanks for the clarification.  :-)

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:50:58 -0400

> favor of increasing the beta pool to help ensure solid support upon release. 

Actually this makes a lot of sense.  Surely we'd like top-notch Postgres
support on proprietary products, right?  What about changing the policy
to admit one beta announcement and one final release, even if they are
closer than 6 months apart?

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.