Subject: Link locations for beta?

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:17:20 -0700

WWW team,

I need links for all of the following items, to where they will be once 
the beta is released.  Please correct any of the below:

Release Notes:
	http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4.html
	OR:
	http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-8-4.html

	which??

Source Code:
	http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.4beta1/

Windows Installers:
	http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3beta1/win32/

Other Binaries:

Beta Information Page:
	http://www.postgresql.org/developer/beta

Bug Report Form:
	http://www.postgresql.org/support/submitbug

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 22:16:36 -0400 (EDT)

> 	http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-8-4.html

The second one is updated regularly so I would use that.  I am not sure
when the first one is updated.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:08:02 +0100

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:
> WWW team,
>
> I need links for all of the following items, to where they will be once the
> beta is released.  Please correct any of the below:
>
> Release Notes:

The latter is probably safest for the first beta.

>        http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3beta1/win32/

You should just direct people to www.postgresql.org/downloads which
has links/info about getting binaries for all sorts of platforms.

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 11:54:37 +0200

> The latter is probably safest for the first beta.

I'd much rather see us use the first. Otherwise, we end up with links
all over the web pointing to the wrong place in the future - the
majority of which would be links we don't control.

//Magnus

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:17:08 -0400

> I'd much rather see us use the first.

I agree.  Can we temporarily set up a cron job to copy the devel docs
tree over to docs/8.4 once a day or so?  A manual copy right now would
be second best, but we'll be working on the docs throughout beta and
it'd be nice if the advertised URL stayed up to date.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:42:49 +0200

On 11 apr 2009, at 16.17, Tom Lane <[email-masked]> wrote:

> it'd be nice if the advertised URL stayed up to date

The docs are currently loaded manually from the tarballs. As long as  
the same files are present in the snapshot tarballs it should be  
fairly easy to modify the script and stick it in a cron job.

/Magnus

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 18:53:22 -0700

Dave,

> has links/info about getting binaries for all sorts of platforms.

Only if you're going to update that page with a paragraph for where to 
find the beta.  Are you?

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:13:13 +0100

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:53 AM, Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Only if you're going to update that page with a paragraph for where to find
> the beta.  Are you?

No - we don't list any other versions explicitly.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:05:57 -0700

On 4/13/09 2:13 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 2:53 AM, Josh Berkus<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> Dave,
>>

In that case, I'd rather provide direct links in the announcement and on 
/developer/beta.  There's no excuse to make people hunt for the beta 
instead of making it obvious.

HOWEVER, I would like a change to where the betas are posted (Marc, you 
listening?).  Please put all betas at:

     http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.4beta/
     http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3beta/win32/

Instead of putting each beta version in a path like:

That way, we won't have to keep updating the links every where for each 
beta and RC release; the directories will remain the same.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 19:54:09 +0200

> it'd be nice if the advertised URL stayed up to date.

I've set up such a temporary job.

FYI 2 web team: it's run out of my personal crontab on wwwmaster -
because that's where I had the load scripts set up. So if something goes
boom, just disable it there. There is nothing else in my crontab, so it
should be Painfully Obvious which one it is :)

//Magnus

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 19:04:53 +0100

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> /developer/beta.  There's no excuse to make people hunt for the beta instead
> of making it obvious.

Right - which s exactly why I don't want you to publish links directly
to a small handful of binaries and ignore the fact that the vast
majority actually come from other places such as the yum repo, the EDB
download server, ports, apt etc. etc.

> That way, we won't have to keep updating the links every where for each beta
> and RC release; the directories will remain the same.

So for the sake of changing 2 characters in each announcement, we have
to change the filing system to one which requires more and more effort
for every user to locate the file they want? I don't think that makes
much sense.

It's also likely to lead users to 404's more often as the website
usually updates before all the mirrors do, so having a single page for
all releases will potentially have invalid links on it for up to 24
hours, whereas users will be far less likely to find them on an as-yet
unadvertised page.

---

From: Jaime Casanova <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:16:36 -0500

>    http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3beta/win32/

i guess you mean
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.4beta/win32/

;)

-- 
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova
Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL
Asesoría y desarrollo de sistemas
Guayaquil - Ecuador
Cel. +59387171157

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:42:05 -0700

Dave,

> download server, ports, apt etc. etc.

Except it's not clear to the user from the page which of those have 
betas, and how to get those betas.  If we want to not have a full set of 
links in the e-mails, then we need to have explicit links & information 
on how to get every single beta binary somewhere else, like the 
developer/beta page.

In other words: if people have difficulty *finding* the betas, they 
won't test them.

> for every user to locate the file they want? I don't think that makes

It was more about the web pages than the announcements.

> hours, whereas users will be far less likely to find them on an as-yet

Ah, I didn't know about that issue.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com