Subject: Fwd: [webmaster] Extra slash in links on archives.postgresql.org

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 11:40:31 +0100

Can someone look at this please?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Noah Misch
Date: Sat, May 9, 2009 at 7:43 PM
Subject: [webmaster] Extra slash in links on archives.postgresql.org
To: [email-masked]

The links on the per-message pages at archives.postgresql.org have an extra
slash.  Consider `/pgsql-hackers/2009-05/msg00425.php'.  The link to this page
from `/pgsql-hackers/2009-05/threads.php' is:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-05/msg00425.php

But the link from `/pgsql-hackers/2009-05/msg00422.php' (previous message in the
thread) is:

http://archives.postgresql.org//pgsql-hackers/2009-05/msg00425.php
----------------------------->_<-- extra slash

This interferes with Firefox showing links as visited; it treats these as
distinct locations.  I tend to grab the head of a thread from the threads index,
then walk down the thread by "Next by thread" links.  I used to use link
coloring to identify messages added to a thread since I last read it.  When this
extra slash appeared (in the last 1-3 months), this strategy no longer worked:
Firefox regarded links in the thread index as unrelated to the links in the
individual message pages.

Please consider changing the tool that generates these pages to render the links
consistently across the index and message pages.

Thanks,
nm

(I should probably use the news server instead.)

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 15:40:11 -0400

> Can someone look at this please?

I'll have a look at it.  I had noticed it but I didn't think it had any
importance.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 21:26:39 +0100

Thanks Alvaro.

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 17:18:26 -0400

Dave Page wrote:

> slash.

Fixed, thanks for reporting it.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.