Subject: Add Postgres.app to the Downloads page?

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 15:41:54 -0700

All,

Before we get to beta, I'd love to add Postgres.app to the downloads
page.  Any objections?

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 18:45:02 -0400

> Before we get to beta, I'd love to add Postgres.app to the downloads

What does that do?

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + It's impossible for everything to be true. +

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 16:02:49 -0700

>> Before we get to beta, I'd love to add Postgres.app to the downloads

User-friendly mac-native installer.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

---

From: Peter Geoghegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 00:56:15 +0100

> User-friendly mac-native installer.

I agree with the idea. it's mostly for web developers who sometimes
need to quickly run Postgres to test their application. Users don't
have to install a service.

-- 
Peter Geoghegan       http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services

---

From: "Jonathan S. Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 00:44:23 -0400

> have to install a service.

One of the most frequent questions I get from OS X users is "I'm having trouble installing Postgres - how do I do it?" - apparently building from source on OS X is in vogue :-)

That said, I would agree with adding the OS X installer to the downloads.  There are some alternative ways of installing it on OS X as well, but we want to make it as simple as possible.

Jonathan

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 09:01:22 +0200

> User-friendly mac-native installer.

Assuming that Mac users like it (which several have said they do), I
see no reason not to. Three things, however:

We need a good description that sets it apart from the other options
that are on the mac download page already. For example, it's
"user-friendly mac-native" - how is that different from the EDB
installer? (Humor me, I know very little about this part of the mac..)

Do we know if the author is going to be keeping up properly with
updates and patch releases? Is he (it's a guy? or a team?) on the
packagers list? Should be?

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 11:18:40 -0700

> installer? (Humor me, I know very little about this part of the mac..)

Well, this is the official description:

Postgres.app is the easiest way to get started with PostgreSQL on the
Mac. Open the app, and you have a PostgreSQL server ready and awaiting
new connections. Close the app, and the server shuts down.

Is that too long?

> packagers list? Should be?

It's Mattt at Heroku.  And yes, he should be on the packagers list.  He
will be keeping up with updates and new versions, although he may drop
old versions faster than our standard EOL policy.

I'll find his email address.

> From what I can tell the installer itself is in beta. Should we
> perhaps wait until it's release-ready?

Works now, at least on my mac.

-- 
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
http://pgexperts.com

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 19:30:56 +0100

> new connections. Close the app, and the server shuts down.

No, but I don't like calling it the easiest. It's the easiest to
install, if you want to avoid a few clicks through an installer, but
it doesn't include pgAdmin or give you easy access to other
tools/utilities so arguably it's not the easiest to actually use,
particularly for the typical Mac user who likes a GUI for that sort of
thing.

> old versions faster than our standard EOL policy.

I think downloads on the "official" section should be expected to be
maintained in line with our published policy. I have no objection to
adding a new section to /download though (around where the VM images
etc. are).

> Works now, at least on my mac.

Didn't on mine. The applet claims it's running on port 5432, but
that's actually a different server. The postgres.app one doesn't
appear to be running at all, so I assume it has not port conflict
detection. Not the end of the world, but could easily confuse people.

-- 
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 15:59:10 -0400

> packagers list? Should be?

Speaking of which, I noticed this morning that Fink is not up to date --
it only has 8.4.8, not 8.4.11.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 16:43:20 +0200

> it only has 8.4.8, not 8.4.11.
Ouch.

Do we know the fink guy? Is he on the packagers list?

//Magnus

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 16:43:21 +0200

> new connections. Close the app, and the server shuts down.

Not necessarily, but as Dave said, it's probably not *correct*. Saying
"it's the simplest way" is not very informative. We need something that
tells people how it's *different* fro mthe other choices (and if that
requires updating the descriptions of the other choices as well, that's
fine by me)

> old versions faster than our standard EOL policy.

Ah, didn't realize that. I guess then there might well be some other people
there to back him up :)

Dropping old versions is perfectly ok - other packagers do that as well.
But keeping up with the minors is very important.

> Works now, at least on my mac.

Sure, but works != release ready...

//Magnus