Subject: Wiki problem with URLs

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 19:02:38 -0500

While trying to add a Gmail URL to our TODO wiki:

	https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo

I found that URLs that contain equal signs are being silently not
displayed by the wiki.  For example, this existing TODO entry:

	{{TodoItem
	|Allow VIEW/RULE recompilation when the underlying tables change
	|This is both difficult and controversial.
	* [http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-12/msg01723.php Re: About "Allow VIEW/RULE recompilation when the underlying tables change"]
	* [http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-12/msg01724.php Re: About "Allow VIEW/RULE recompilation when the underlying tables change"]
-->	* [http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CACk=U9NFSzWrEba8G5dZ=TZLy3_hx3QXGyCcKVWT=[email-masked] VIEW still referring to old name of field]
	}}

I would love to give you a URL to that section, but "Views / Rules" is
not clickable on Firefox on my machine --- you have to scroll down.  You
will see the text display is:

	Allow VIEW/RULE recompilation when the underlying tables change 

The second line is missing, as well as all the links.  I believe it is
the last link which contains an equals sign that is causing the problem,
based on my experiments.

A fix need to be found, and all URLs with equal signs fixed.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + It's impossible for everything to be true. +

-- 
Sent via pgsql-www mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www

---

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 19:57:14 +0100

> A fix need to be found, and all URLs with equal signs fixed.

well this seems to be a URL encoding issue - replacing the = with a %3D
fixes the problem.

Stefan

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:27:48 -0500

> well this seems to be a URL encoding issue - replacing the = with a %3D

So the only known fix is to hand-edit URLs to use %3D?  That doesn't
seem very good.  Do we need to move the TODO list somewhere else?

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 00:39:42 -0300

> seem very good.  Do we need to move the TODO list somewhere else?

There are several reasons why the wiki is not a perfect fit for the
TODO; for instance, taking out the items done as each major version gets
released is always problematic.  Are you proposing to write a Django app
to host the TODO?  That, I think, would be best.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 12:42:07 -0500

> to host the TODO?  That, I think, would be best.

Well, I guess all I am saying is that now that there are no archive URLs
being generated, e.g.

	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-09/msg00781.php

everything is a message-id, and many message ids (e.g. Google) have
characters that cause problems for the wiki, e.g. '='.  

I can encode '=', but there might be other characters, and other people
might not know to do that.  Also, when you don't encode '=', you don't
get any feedback that there is a problem --- that link URL just
disappears from the wiki, and not just the URL disappears but all links
and any secondary text for the item.

What I can do it cleanup what is there and try to encode '=', but I
hardly see that as a long-term solution.

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 13:21:11 -0500

> hardly see that as a long-term solution.

FYI, Stefan Kaltenbrunner has already corrected the exiting URLs on the
TODO list, so it is just the new ones we need to worry about.  I could
create an automated script to pull the TODO list and look for '=' in
URLs.

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 10:39:05 -0800

> well this seems to be a URL encoding issue - replacing the = with a %3D

No it puts a band aid on it. This is clearly a bug in the wiki code. I 
think it is unreasonable to have to modify every URL that would normally 
work perfectly.

JD

-- 
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/
PostgreSQL Support, Training, Professional Services and Development
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 10:39:43 -0800

> to host the TODO?  That, I think, would be best.

Although it is true that the wiki is not the best choice, it is better 
than what we had before and this response is certainly not helpful to 
the problem at hand.

JD

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 13:56:01 -0500

On Fri, Feb  1, 2013 at 10:39:05AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> No it puts a band aid on it. This is clearly a bug in the wiki code.
> I think it is unreasonable to have to modify every URL that would
> normally work perfectly.

Agreed, but based on the fact that no one yet knows how to fix it, I
have written the attached script which I will run automatically to check
for such problems.