Subject: Incorrect description for "SET" abbreviation in Time Zone Appendix

From: Mohamed Medjelled <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2026 08:50:49 +0100

Hello,

I would like to report a factual error in the PostgreSQL documentation
regarding time zone abbreviations (Appendix B).

The documentation lists:

SET | +01:00 | Seychelles Time

This is incorrect for two reasons:

The official time in the Seychelles (SCT) is UTC+04:00 (and has been since
1906).

The abbreviation "SET" in the context of UTC+01:00 historically referred to
Swedish East Time, not Seychelles Time.

This error can be found in the datetime-config-appendix of several
versions, including the current one. It would be great to update the
description to avoid confusion for users relying on these tables.

Best regards,

MEDJELLED Mohammed Elamine

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2026 13:10:59 -0500

> SET | +01:00 | Seychelles Time

As far as I can see, that has not appeared in our documentation since
version 8.1.x, which was end-of-life in 2010.  Where are you reading
this?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2026 13:34:50 -0500

(cc pgsql-www)

I think this points to our longstanding issue with web searches and lack of
SEO in general. A web search using multiple search engines on "postgres SCT
timezone" all point to this gem as the first hit:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.2/timezones.html

Sigh. Can we perhaps do something radical like make an docs/old/7.2
directory and point / permanent redirect all the existing stuff to
/current/ ?
(dunno, not a web person, but having 7.2 docs come up like that is bad)

-- 
Cheers,
Greg