Subject: Re: Idea for a new index page

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:17:53 +0900

Erg. The past week has been frought with email ineptness on my part. If 
a variation on this comes through, please forgive.

On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 07:42 AM, Andreas Grabmüller wrote:
> Michael, is it possible to choose the layout based on the browser size 
> using XHTML/CSS or Javascript? So any user with 1024x768 sees 
> test3.htm but any user with a lower resolution sees test4.htm? It's 
> just the two boxes to change...

It's definitely possible to switch style sheets using JavaScript and 
straightforward XHTML and CSS. The most common usage of this I've seen 
is for providing serif and sans-serif versions. As for detecting 
browser size, nothing I know of in XHTML or CSS would prevent you from 
doing this, but as far as I know they're not going to do it for you.

However, I'm wondering whether or not this is necessary. From what I 
gather, you're worried about the page being too wide because the Latest 
News and Upcoming Events boxes are fixed width. When I first saw the 
text*.htm examples, I put together similar structures on my local 
machine. They resize very nicely, side by side, text reflowing and 
preserving hanging indents on the lists, using &middot as bullets, down 
to a width of about 850px. After that, you start losing the right 
sidebar. And that might not be a hard limit. I haven't really tweaked 
it much.

I'd like to be able to show these examples, but I don't have a host. 
Should I upload them to CVS? (Am I even able to? Do I require a GBorg 
membership?)

Michael

---

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:20:52 +0900

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Nov 11, 2003  12:37:01 PM Asia/Tokyo
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Idea for a new index page

Michael