Subject: Re: Idea for a new index page

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:58:35 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Marc G. Fournier [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 10 November 2003 03:38
> To: Andreas GrabmXller
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Idea for a new index page
> 
> 
> works for me ... I didn't like the 'overscrolling' that 
> happened on the old site, then keeps it nice and condense ...

My main dislike is the short links for the news/events. They aren't
visually separate from the rest of the page if you see what I mean. How
about making those cell backgrounds a light gray?

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:45:28 -0400 (AST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Andreas GrabmXller wrote:

> ----- Original-Nachricht -----
> Von: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
> An: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>, "Andreas GrabmXller" <[email-masked]>
> CC: <[email-masked]>
> Datum: Monday, November 10, 2003 10:01 AM
> Betreff: [pgsql-www] Idea for a new index page
>
> What about this?
> http://wwwdevel2.postgresql.org/test3.htm

Yup, like the 'boxes' ... one thing that is needed though, is 'fixed size'
so that text doesn't wrap ...

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Nov 2003 10:20:25 -0500

> http://wwwdevel2.postgresql.org/test3.htm

This is better, as it gives a clearer differentiation between news and
events (which I think we need on the main site now) but I think the
amount of screen real estate devoted to first time visitors is too much,
and relegating regular contributors to doing "extra clicks" to get news
summaries seems like a downside to me. 

I'd much rather see a small paragraph on "what is postgresql?" under the
top left banner ad (most likely place for a first time visitor to look) 
with a few links in that section for "lean more" and/or "who we are"
type links. 

then we could expanded the main piece back into allowing summaries for
news items and move the events item someplace else. if we ever get
around to listing recurring events properly, and things like user group
meetings, we're going to need more space than what we are allowing now.

I also am not sure I agree with the value of the "current versions"...
one 7.4 is released, how would this be updated? Stable = 7.4, Beta = cvs
or 7.5?, Deprecated = 7.3.4?  I'd rather not say that 7.3.4 is
deprecated when there is still the potential for a 7.3.5...   I do see
some bonus in having a "current stable version = 7.3.4" and a "current
beta version = 7.4RC1" which gets updated to a 7.4 and drops the beta
bit after release... though honestly with better news management even
this bonus would probably go away 

Also maybe the international sites should go under the language choice
drop down.

I probably put the link for mirrors back in the main menu, and drop the
"website" box.

Robert Treat 
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:26:23 -0400 (AST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Andreas GrabmXller wrote:

> Von: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
> An: Andreas GrabmXller <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Datum: Monday, November 10, 2003 03:50 PM
> I added a little white-space:nowrap for the cells... this keeps the
> cells variable size as much as possible but preserves the text
> wrapping...

Perfect, thanks ...

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:57:05 -0000 (GMT)

It's rumoured that Marc G. Fournier once said:
>> An: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>, "Andreas GrabmXller"
>> <[email-masked]> CC: <[email-masked]>
>> > visually separate from the rest of the page if you see what I mean.
>> > How about making those cell backgrounds a light gray?
>> >
>> > Regards, Dave.
>>
>> What about this?
>>
> Yup, like the 'boxes' ... one thing that is needed though, is 'fixed
> size' so that text doesn't wrap ...

Yup, don't think it'll work on 800x600 either. It's left-right scrolling
on the 1024x768 montior with a very nearly fully screen browser that I'm
using.
/D