Subject: Re: Hello and some questions

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:59:17 -0000

Hi Gavin 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gavin M. Roy [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 15 December 2003 21:34
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [pgsql-www] Hello and some questions
> 
> Hey everyone,
> 
>   Looks like I was able to con Dave into letting me on this list. ;-) 
> j/k.   I've been going through the archives to get caught up to speed 
> and I wanted to ask a couple of basic overview questions:

:-)

> 1. What is the current take on having one common design that 
> is an integration of look, feel, and navigation across all of 
> the sub-sites?

That is something I think we're all agreed we would like to see.

> 2.  What is the current preference on programming languages 
> for the seperate sites?

PHP4. Arguments could be made for using a CMS such as Bricolage for
techdocs however (I think Josh looked at this, though I don't know how
far he got).

> 3.  Is programatic content management being done at all on 
> the sites, or are they done via manual HTML editing?

Andreas' new portal is all DB backed content with online
translation/editting, as is the existing advocacy site iirc. The
existing portal has news, events and the docs in the DB. Techdocs is a
mix of PHP pages with content and Wiki code iirc.

> 4. What areas are open to modification, discussion, design 
> and implementation, and what are off limits?

Nothing is off-limits though we should be giving priority to Andreas'
new code at the moment. Once the main portal is as we wish, then the
rest of the sites can be brought in line.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:06:59 -0800

Thanks for the quick update.  I'll just offer out there both design and 
programming assistance to whoever needs it on which ever project.  I'm a 
competent PHP coder (been using it since 2.0) and do a bit of design 
work.  I don't want to stick my nose where it isn't welcome, so if 
anyone has anything they want to hand off or collaborate on, let me know. 

Gavin

Dave Page wrote:

>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend
>  
>