Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] News Feed: PHP/Postgresql Advocacy

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:29:40 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Robert Treat [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 17 February 2004 03:45
> To: David Costa; [email-masked]
> Cc: Marc G.Fournier; Dave Page
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] News Feed: PHP/Postgresql Advocacy
> 
> Wow, very cool David.  This is something we have talked about 
> having before, and we seem so close now I think we need to 
> find a way to make it happen. 

Agreed. Very nice.

> David, I noticed your news feed points to us19 rather than 
> the main server... 

David runs us19...

> just curious if there was any reason why?  I am thinking if 
> we could set up www.postgresql.org/news.rss we could make 
> that a public news feed that folks could pull from.  It would 
> also be included in the mirror system if someone 
> needed to pull a local feed (though it would be slightly 
> delayed).   The only 
> question I would have is how does this fit in with the web 
> code rewrite / translation stuff?

Yes, I guess it may need modification. Having said that though - would
it be easier to keep it on the main server and generate the feed
directly from the database? At least that way it wn't be affected by
Alexeys work.

Regards Dave

---

From: David Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:50:15 +0100

> Agreed. Very nice.

:)

>> David, I noticed your news feed points to us19 rather than

Aheam yes well I did it locally just to avoid any possible trouble or 
let's say as a test :D

> directly from the database? At least that way it wn't be affected by

  As long as you have the news in a database, the feed generation 
package is one single script. Then you need to add a cronjob and you 
are done.
Of course it might not be a priority so it can wait. No hurry from my 
side ;)

In the meantime I could do the feed for the mailing lists.  Oh ...I 
also need to find the time to finish my postgresql articles
;)
I think the feeds fits well in the advocacy project. I know many 
developers with a blog or newsfeed aggregator. I suspect they would be 
pleased to add the pgsql feed.

  In fact many of the leading website are now generating a lot of 
traffic via the feeds. Just think about 100 then 1000 websites 
displaying the official postgresql.org feed.

We might also shake up the guys at O'Reilly to add it somewhere.

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:07:26 +0300

Hi!

> directly from the database? At least that way it wn't be affected by

I think that it'll be better to add the ability to mirror RSS feeds 
also. While the feed on the main server will be fetched from the DB, the 
feeds on mirrors will be static.

We can also think about generating feeds in multiple languages, just as 
it will be the case woth HTML.

I'll post a message a bit later on how to better do feed generation in 
the version of 'portal' with my changes.