Subject: Re: Upgraded Site..any news ?

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:30:51 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexey Borzov [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 26 February 2004 20:49
> To: David Costa
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Upgraded Site..any news ?
> 
> Meanwhile I was going to borrow some code from Horde for 
> cleaner gettext() management and produce a clean patch for 
> the current CVS version of 'portal'.

Watch the licence there - we publish the website code under BSD...
 
Regards, Dave.

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:48:23 +0300

Hi!

> Watch the licence there - we publish the website code under BSD...

Horde is under LGPL. I am not a license guru, so please tell me whether 
it is OK to use parts of it.

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:56:23 -0500 (EST)

> it is OK to use parts of it.

It is not.  LGPL requires that any changes we make be published, and we
currently don't have that resetriction with our BSD license.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: David Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:59:49 +0100

> currently don't have that resetriction with our BSD license.

I am not  100% sure but, if you need  a class (e.g. a php pear class) 
which is released under e.g. php license you can certainly use it 
regardless of what your license policy is unless you plan to modify it 
and redistribute it under a difference license.

The same would apply for a CPAN module, there are released under 
artistic license isn't it ?

If we take a class and extend it that should just be as fine as we are 
using it.  What exactly are you planning to use from  Horde?
the mirror ip to country is a rather basic script (if you use the same 
one used at php.net) and doesn't even need a class as far as I know..
http://www.php.net/source.php?url=/my.php )

Regards,
David Costa, PostgreSQL Advocate
david at postgresql ddoot org gurugeek att php dot net
$dsn = 'pgsql://world:most_advanced@localhost/open_source_database';

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:24:00 -0500

> http://www.php.net/source.php?url=/my.php )

The problem is that if we modify these classes/packages and then make them a 
part of our source tree, we are bound by whatever license terms the packages 
come with.  Since we offer our code as BSD, we cannot include code that would 
restrict our ability to license the web code under BSD.  We can use the lgpl 
classes provided in PEAR so long as it's not required the code be put into 
our source tree, but lifting code from one of these and including it in our 
code is not acceptable. 

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: David Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 05:31:28 +0100

> our source tree, but lifting code from one of these and including it 

Fine, thanks for the clarification. Just for the sake of transparency  
I am working on my own code implementation for the IP2country on 
postgresql mirrors,
nothing borrowed from horde to avoid any possible trouble. I will 
upload on my beta space as soon as possible.

It should be fine as pear classes are not part of the source three as 
these are only in the include dir (which is outside of the three).
I will not modify any existing pear class.

BTW Pear classes are released under PHP license, this should be 
different then LGPL isn't it ?

Cheers
David

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 00:08:54 +0300

Hi!

David Costa wrote:
> Fine, thanks for the clarification. Just for the sake of transparency  I 
> am working on my own code implementation for the IP2country on 
> postgresql mirrors,
> nothing borrowed from horde to avoid any possible trouble. I will upload 
> on my beta space as soon as possible.

Current implementation of ip2country in portal was written by Andreas, I didn't 
change it at all. I don't think there can be problems with that.

I wanted to borrow some code (Lang class, to be exact) for handling *gettext* 
issues.

> different then LGPL isn't it ?

Different PEAR classes are released under different licenses, AFAIK there exist 
BSD and LGPL licensed ones.

---

From: David Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 22:22:59 +0100

On Mar 1, 2004, at 10:08 PM, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Current implementation of ip2country in portal was written by Andreas, 
> I didn't change it at all. I don't think there can be problems with 
> that.

Well, AFAIK is not available at the moment so if I find the time I will 
try to code it up in the upcoming days :D
>
> I wanted to borrow some code (Lang class, to be exact) for handling 
> *gettext* issues.
>
> Different PEAR classes are released under different licenses, AFAIK 
> there exist BSD and LGPL licensed ones.
>
yes well using a class is possible regardless of its license as it will 
not be part of the source three.
I checked your beta, very nice, that said I would not recommend using a 
template system aka smarty or any pear template. It will tie the 
website development to the development/API of that specific class and 
to me, is not good.

Cheers
David